Dust Bath in the Coop for Winter?

JennM114

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Hello,

I have five hens (3 golden sexlinks- 8months old, 2 Cochins- 9 months old) in a 4'x8', partially 2 level coop. They have a large run, where I keep their dust bath. We just had our first significant snow of the season a few days ago. My girls have no interest in stepping on the snow and refuse to leave their cozy coop 😆. Unfortunately, this means they can't get to their dust bath and instead have resorted to rolling around in their bedding.
The dust bath is approximately 1.5'x3' and can be moved into the coop, but is that a good idea? It will take up half of the remaining floor space, limiting the room they have to scratch. Also, it will be difficult to consistently scoop the poops fast enough to keep the bath clean....but they seem to really be craving that sweet, sweet dust. Pics of dust bath and partially completed coop from summer attached, if that help. The coop now has a more permanent 2nd level with nesting boxes and roosting area in the back half and has been winterized. Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks!

20200823_134109.jpg
20200823_134109.jpg
20200615_165625.jpg

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Yes, the dust bath is a good idea.
You may be able to cover it (put the lid on it?) and just open it up for a few hours each day.

My stag pen floors are wood, so I keep a litter box of dirt in there with them 24/7 so they can dust bath and they use them! Chickens love dirt, so it's really important for them to have some type of access to it. AND Yes! You need to have extra dirt/sand whatever you use on hand so you can scoop poop/bedding out and add "fresh". Mine usually kick straw in their boxes but a large kitty litter scoop works pretty well sifting most of it out.
You can see his dirt box behind him, yep...it's got straw in it LOL
1609447063416.png

TannerTrue

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
Yes, the dust bath is a good idea.
You may be able to cover it (put the lid on it?) and just open it up for a few hours each day.

My stag pen floors are wood, so I keep a litter box of dirt in there with them 24/7 so they can dust bath and they use them! Chickens love dirt, so it's really important for them to have some type of access to it. AND Yes! You need to have extra dirt/sand whatever you use on hand so you can scoop poop/bedding out and add "fresh". Mine usually kick straw in their boxes but a large kitty litter scoop works pretty well sifting most of it out.
You can see his dirt box behind him, yep...it's got straw in it LOL
View attachment 2470182
He’s beautiful 😍

Top Bottom