Dust Bath Ingredients

Tholian

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 14, 2011
I heard that a good Dust bath for my birds is Diatomaceous earth, and sand. But I also remember that Ash may be a good ingredient too. Would this be Wood and paper ash?

welcome-byc.gif

And yes wood and paper ash.
smile.png

I put together a dust bath for my girls a couple of weeks ago. I used only play sand and DE. It can be muddy outside and the ground is frozen and I thought this would be a good solution. At first they just ate it, but now they have finally figured out how to use it. I'm not sure what type of ash to use but I was thinking about adding some sort of dirt or soil. Good luck with it.

We use the ash from our fireplace & wood stove, with the big bits taken out. Also sand and dirt.

I am just getting started so I am trying to learn. Do you normally put a cover over the Dust box? Many of the pictures I see do have roofs over the dusting area.

Please use DE very sparingly if you must use it at all. It helps with odor and moisture control, but it is also very rough on lungs, yours and the chickens'. Sprinkle it lightly only.

A dust bath is by definition dusty, in other words, dry. If it is out in the rain it becomes a mud bath. But then some chickens like a mud bath, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just used a large cardboard box cut down to about 8 inches high. I can't say that I have ever seen them use it. They are trying to peel all the cardboard. I used a mix of play sand, construction sand and a little de.

Thanks for all the replies. I did use maybe too much Dy earth, so I will cut back on that. I have a Burning can out back I throw the papers in and cardboard boxes to make the ash. But I haven't had a chance to throw it in the mix yet. I picked one of those Rubber watering Bowls from Tractor Supply to put my stuff in. A few know it is for thier dust bath. But I have caught a couple of the Bantams doing the same thing in the finer wood shavings. OH well, as long as they are enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom