dust bath questions

The directions on the Poultry Dust seem like I wouldn't want them creating a dust cloud in the outside dust bath. (25% Permethrin)
You don't want a dust cloud of DE either.
Permethrin should only be used when you see bugs on your birds.
You must not have read the whole thread, see my post just above yours.

You don't want a dust cloud of DE either.
Permethrin should only be used when you see bugs on your birds.
You must not have read the whole thread, see my post just above yours.
Oh no, I read the thread. I'm interested in a plan "IF" I see bugs. I don't have enough DE in the bath that causes a cloud, and the burlap creates tiny little holes where only bugs and DE can go preventing dust on the roost. I am just wondering how those that put the Permethrin in the dust bath keep it from the eyes and lungs. That would lead me to believe that it is a small amount added. That is what I would be interested to have handy should the need arise.

and the burlap creates tiny little holes where only bugs and DE can go preventing dust on the roost.
Burlap could cause a 'toenail catching' scenario.
DE will not prevent bugs.

I'm interested in a plan "IF" I see bugs.
Have some permethrin on hand, spray or dust, apply it directly to the birds...
...and to the coop structure if you discover roost mites.

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

My Bug Check notes:

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
I bookmarked that article you posted previously. It's good!!! As for the burlap, I wrap it tight, basically upholster the 2 x 4, stapled on the bottom. Sagging burlap could catch a toenail. I have never seen anything "definitive" on DE. I use it more as a "repellant". *example*... last year fire ants moved in and built a nest under the lid to my greenhouse water tank. (Burried). I put a ring of DE around the lid (on 25% Permethrin ground). 2 days later the ants were gone. My theory is that nothing likes crawling through the suff......(not scientific). I figure it can't hurt the chickens. (Moderation)

My Bug Check notes:

Oh no, I read the thread. I'm interested in a plan "IF" I see bugs. I don't have enough DE in the bath that causes a cloud, and the burlap creates tiny little holes where only bugs and DE can go preventing dust on the roost. I am just wondering how those that put the Permethrin in the dust bath keep it from the eyes and lungs. That would lead me to believe that it is a small amount added. That is what I would be interested to have handy should the need arise.

Completely agree with aart.

Still consider myself a newbie for chicken raising since this is still our first year. So my experience is limited. In the first few months we used food grade DE diligently - using the pump with spray and applied DE thoroughly in the coop and run, put in their dust bath, etc. Our chickens still came down with a bad case of lice infestation. A few applications of Permethrin dust took care of the lice problem.

Recently I have completely stopped using DE realizing that if I have to wear a mask when cleaning the coop daily to avoid the DE dust, my chickens should also be protected from the dust! Their bodies are actually very small, even small amount of dust going into their lungs will be too much. The only way to protect them is to not use DE. If there are any more issues with lice or mites (hope not!!), permethrin is sufficient as a treatment.

So my experience is limited. In the first few months we used food grade DE diligently - using the pump with spray and applied DE thoroughly in the coop and run, put in their dust bath, etc. Our chickens still came down with a bad case of lice infestation. A few applications of Permethrin dust took care of the lice problem.
But your story is telling, thank you for sharing it.
I've read many of the same and it's why I preach/rant against DE.

Back
Top Bottom