Dust Bath

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5138bug, Sep 30, 2016.

1. 5138bug

5138bug Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Southbury CT
    Hello Girls not dust bathing
    I put a box with sand in the brooder when they where 2 weeks old they used it a couple of times then stop I have never seen them bath since, the run is sand and I have converted to sand in the coop not a sign of any bathing. The coop was pine shaving and leaves until last week maybe they where bathing in there I could never tell, Is this something I should worry about they look healthy feather look good

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They will do it if needed....Have no worries....

Cheers!

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    If they look healthy then don't worry about it. Mine dust bathe very infrequently (though when they go at it, they go at it) but I haven't seen any mites or lice on them, so I guess "infrequent" is good enough.

If you're worried they don't like the sand, you can also try offering peat moss or wood ash, which seems to be popular choices. Mine seem to like peat moss but lately they'll just rolling around my garden beds.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  4. Lost Farmer

Lost Farmer Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    One thing my girls loved and i kind of gave up trying to keep them out of, My Mulch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by