1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dust Bath

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arouech, Apr 9, 2017.

1. arouech

arouech Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2017
    Canton, Ohio
    Ok, so I don't know much about these. I have TONS of wood ash since we burn a lot of fires, but I would like to use it with something I could get around my house outside. I don't really want to use something I'll have to continue buying. Is there something I could use with my wood ash? And what's the ratio to mix?

2. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Hi and [​IMG]. i wouldnt use the ashes and im bot sure about the ratio mix, i guess its fine. But normally i'd just find a loose patch of soil dig it up and puts it in some box or what you use, or if i have some extra, top soil is great for dust baths,

1 person likes this.
  3. PraiseGod

PraiseGod Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Heart in Jerusalem
    I can be wrong but I've read wood ash is good for adding to dust baths.As long as it's untreated. Not sure there is a specific ratio.

4. ColoRockies

ColoRockies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    We just take a shovel and loosen the ground if it gets packed in their run. Usually they run around a half acre so there's always some loose dirt somewhere [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by