Dust bath

I used one of those cheap plastic under bed storage containers last year and it got them through the winter. But I put it under the old coop. All that dust inside the coop will really make a mess in an already dusty environment.

When I rebuilt my coop I made a built-in dust bathing area along the back side of the coop. It is within the confines of the predator proof run and has a polycarbonate roof over it to protect it from rain and snow. They love it.
Under construction:
Dust bath site 1.jpg

Viewed from the brooder run. The dust bath site is on the other side of the HC.
Barb first day outside with kids.jpg
momma and babies first dust bath.jpg

How the roof segments open up to add more material to the dust bath and to clean the brooder run.
run extension roof prop sticks.jpg

How the roof segments open up to add more material to the dust bath and to clean the brooder run.
Sweet props!!

I stashed away a 5 gallon bucket more of dirt in the shed to refill it with since they knock a lot of dirt out when bathing.
I used to do this, but they never used the bin...so I stopped after a few years. Under the coop part of the run stays dry enough(to not freeze) to dust bathe all winter.

I used one of those cheap plastic under bed storage containers last year and it got them through the winter. But I put it under the old coop. All that dust inside the coop will really make a mess in an already dusty environment.

When I rebuilt my coop I made a built-in dust bathing area along the back side of the coop. It is within the confines of the predator proof run and has a polycarbonate roof over it to protect it from rain and snow. They love it.
Under construction:
View attachment 1958704
Viewed from the brooder run. The dust bath site is on the other side of the HC.
View attachment 1958705 View attachment 1958706
View attachment 1958708
Nice setup!

Is it necessary to board the sand bath area? I.e. all around and bottom. We feel the sand just “disappeared “ after a few weeks, perhaps weighing down beneath as it is heavier than soil?

Is it necessary to board the sand bath area? I.e. all around and bottom. We feel the sand just “disappeared “ after a few weeks, perhaps weighing down beneath as it is heavier than soil?
Post a pic of what you have/had?

I came through this video. It mentioned DE in addition to the other three ingredients- sand , dirt and ash. Want to see how people think/ use DE in sand bath ?
He makes some decent points...
....but plain sandy/dirt is fine, DE should not be used, IMO.
Ash should be from hardwood burning.

Back
Top Bottom