Dust bath

Yup, and gotta stop throwing flour in the air and breathing that too. Food grade DE is way different and totally safe. To each their own though. I have two macaw parrots that have had it in their cages for over 20 years and their lungs I know are just fine. ☺️
I get that, but for me it’s the mining process that’s the problem, open pit mining causes irreversible damage to the environment.

😳 OMG !!!
I didn’t know that, so it goes against all my principles, I am trying to save the planet rather than contribute to its demise !!!
I have nearly finished my current box and I sure as peas are peas I won’t be buying another.
Thank you so much Nuthatched for this information 🙏
You're welcome, I was surprised when I found it out too. Actually, many 'green' products aren't actually environmentally friendly, in the long run. Just have to double check.

It is. Osha Class 3, Generally Regarded As Safe if used within minimum exposure.

But, unfortunately, it's not good for you or especially your birds to breath. The continuous breathing of fine dust in birds causes scar tissue in the bronchial junction, leading to increased difficulty breathing, respiratory distress and suffocation.
It's barely mediocre for mite and lice control and it's harvesting by strip, i.e open pit mining, which is not environmentally friendly. So, unfortunately, it's not safe, effective or good for the planet.
Maybe is you overexpose your chickens?

I’m using DE for 8+ years now. I have 3 chickens who are (almost) 9 years old. They never had respiratory problems.

I use the DE mixed with sand under the hay in the nestboxes. As a paint on the walls and roosts (thick at the joints) and mixed with sand in the sandbath.
This way it is SAFE!

Back
Top Bottom