Dust bath

Isnt diatomaceous earth a carcinogen tho
The thing is that the abrasiveness of DE is so small that it only hurts the tiniest of creatures which is why it is great for killing mites and fleas.

Other than that you can look up videos on people who actually eat/drink it daily for health benefits. So...

The food grade DE is the one you can safely mix into the sandbath.
You don't need food grade DE for dust baths.

Humans have way less of a hardy digestestional track than most animals. The DE that get used for many dust baths is not food grade.

As in this product from Chewy. Notice how it says "For animal use only" Why would they say that if it was food grade? Well it's because it is not but it is perfectly fine to use for chickens. Food and dust baths.

UltraCruz Diatomaceous Earth Poultry Supplement, 2-lb bag slide 4 of 4

Now I would never tell someone that they are being overly cautious if they wanted to use food grade and be at peace in their mind.

However I would tell them that if they do plan on using it that it is better (not absolutely mandatory) to keep the bath covered or under cover so to not let it get wet. Food grade DE will clump (sometimes harden) when it gets damp (can be broken back down). Regular DE tends to release water better. The difference is small but you can see it.

Best to get a good handle on a good mixture that works best for the region you live in. As I mentioned in post #3

You don't need food grade DE for dust baths.

Humans have way less of a hardy digestestional track than most animals. The DE that get used for many dust baths is not food grade.

As in this product from Chewy. Notice how it says "For animal use only" Why would they say that if it was food grade? Well it's because it is not but it is perfectly fine to use for chickens. Food and dust baths.

UltraCruz Diatomaceous Earth Poultry Supplement, 2-lb bag slide 4 of 4

Now I would never tell someone that they are being overly cautious if they wanted to use food grade and be at peace in their mind.

However I would tell them that if they do plan on using it that it is better (not absolutely mandatory) to keep the bath covered or under cover so to not let it get wet. Food grade DE will clump (sometimes harden) when it gets damp (can be broken back down). Regular DE tends to release water better. The difference is small but you can see it.

Best to get a good handle on a good mixture that works best for the region you live in. As I mentioned in post #3
The DE sold for animals is food grade too. Maybe a bit less pure, but yes it's good to use and way less expensive as the ones they sell in the drugstore in small packages for humans.

It seems there exits another kind of DE for the chemical industry that is poisonous.

Beginning of our being chooks parents , I tried it all - make a sand box, use DE earth and I gave up pretty soon after. Reasons:

- they never even touch the sand boxes, chickens dig their own holes
-when they were 4 months old, entire flock was infected with lice (probably from wild birds), permethrin power easily took care of it
-When I cleaned the poop everyday, I had to wear a mask (DE earth shouldn't be inhaled).
I realized how tiny chicken's lungs are, and if I am afraid of DE earth, won't it do so much more damage to them? There really wasn't any benefit to it.

It's been almost four years now, we haven't had lice incident since. And chickens have plenty of sand baths they built for their own.

1709819986306.jpeg

Hi Hun,
Diatomaceous Earth is a product, I would like to say sent from heaven but don’t want to offend anyone or cross the no religion or politics line.
It’s the fossilised remains of diatoms whatever they are but goodness (?) bless them 😂
It’s natural, kills lots of baddies and, well that’s it really but all in all it’s an, all in all, good chap.
I fill any wood cracks with it after cleaning perches and sprinkle it on the window frames of their hen house. I have even been known to use it in my potager.
Diatomaceous Earth :love my hero
Hugz

Beginning of our being chooks parents , I tried it all - make a sand box, use DE earth and I gave up pretty soon after. Reasons:

- they never even touch the sand boxes, chickens dig their own holes
-when they were 4 months old, entire flock was infected with lice (probably from wild birds), permethrin power easily took care of it
-When I cleaned the poop everyday, I had to wear a mask (DE earth shouldn't be inhaled).
I realized how tiny chicken's lungs are, and if I am afraid of DE earth, won't it do so much more damage to them? There really wasn't any benefit to it.

It's been almost four years now, we haven't had lice incident since. And chickens have plenty of sand baths they built for their own.

View attachment 3765682
I use quite a lot of the DE. Mixed with sand its harmless. Used as a paint also.

I used it pure last year to rub a little into the feathers of a few hens when I had a red mite infestation. And much more on a broody (unwanted). This hen stayed in an infected nestbox. But it didn’t bother her.

I don’t wear a mask unless I do a thorough clean. Never had breathing problems myself and no chickens with breathing problems either.

I think people are overreacting about the danger of inhaling DE. But be careful with pure DE. Better be safe than sorry.

The thing is that the abrasiveness of DE is so small that it only hurts the tiniest of creatures which is why it is great for killing mites and fleas.

Other than that you can look up videos on people who actually eat/drink it daily for health benefits. So...
Ohhh, that makes a bit more sense. Ill do more research into it then, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom