Dust bath

SaltwaterChickInn

In the Brooder
May 22, 2023
I’m setting up a dust bath and learned to use builder’s sand however, there’s different types so which one do I use and where do I buy it? Thank you in advance!

All kind of sand is good.

I would prefer playground sand because is free of toxics. If you add a ashes ir diatomaceous earth its good againd licd and mites too.

I buy sand at a garden center or hardware store. And sometimes use sand from my own garden (for free). If there is a roof over it, it will dry fast enough.

I’m setting up a dust bath and learned to use builder’s sand however, there’s different types so which one do I use and where do I buy it? Thank you in advance!
Any playground sand should do.

The way I do mine is, I get a big truck tire or one of those goofy big low profile tires,
  1. First put a layer of white crushed rock and pack it down.
  2. Then a layer of pea gravel and pack it down.
  3. Then the rest is
  • Half playground sand
  • Wood ash or charcoal ash or both. (NOT from the BBQ pit)
  • Diatomaceous Earth
  • Used Coffee grounds. (NOT Fresh)
  • A bottle of Garlic Powder.
This will make a loose quick draining dust bath that retains heat and fights against mites and fleas.

how does it deal with heavy rain or snow?
Were you asking me?

If so.. I guess it does fine.

I had one inside the covered run and one out in the field. I doesn't snow much here in South Texas. The one in the covered run would drain and dried up fast, due to the gravel.

Same for the one in the field but that one would dry faster due to the direct sun hitting it.

The few times it snowed, and iced over, the dust bath seemed to be dry way before the rest of the ground. I do not know how well it would do somewhere there is regularly snow. I would say to make a "carport" for it so rain and snow do not fall directly on it.

All kind of sand is good.

I would prefer playground sand because is free of toxics. If you add a ashes ir diatomaceous earth its good againd licd and mites too.

I buy sand at a garden center or hardware store. And sometimes use sand from my own garden (for free). If there is a roof over it, it will dry fast enough.
Isnt diatomaceous earth a carcinogen tho

Back
Top Bottom