Dust bath?

I bought a bag of DE but Im too afraid to offer it, Ive been reading conflicting information...How its bad if humans inhale it- so I was thinking it could also be bad if offered to chicks as well? Just not sure 100%. I was reading this from the Chicken Chicks blog.

DE is very safe for animals. I put it in my dogs food to keep flea's,flies and ticks away/off of them. I also use it in my house along windows and doors to keep ants out. It will keep mites, fleas and ticks off of chickens if they dust bath in it.

Last edited:
My chicks are not quite two weeks old yet and they have a dust bath. I really do not think it could hurt them at any age, it is fun and helps them keep bugs away. Mine were trying to take one in the wood chips, then when they were out on a blanket I put a handful of food down, they tried to take a dust bath in that too. I just gave them a mix of peat moss and sand, they love it! I was not really sure what to give them either, I was going to use just plain dirt from the garden, but it was too rainy. There are a few great threads on the subject, it seems the most commonly used things are DE, peat moss, plain dirt, sand and wood ashes, just about any combo of those. Do not use pool DE, it needs to be food grade DE.

Here is a good thread on Dust Baths: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645891/what-is-your-favorite-dust-bath-mixture

We use it as pest control as well, we get big nasty spiders around here. I was just curious about the do not inhale warning and if it would negatively affect the chicks. I'm sure bigger chickens would be fine but I worry about the littles.

I also haven't heard or read anything about it being harmful if inhaled. At leasts not the food grade. My son has severe asthma and also has no problems with it inside the house.

Last edited:
After all I have read about DE and the fact that I have read much more bad experience than good. Also the fact that it seems like a ''snake oil'' touted to cure almost every pest known to man but I was not able to find any scientific studies that showed it was any more efffective than using nothing. Add to that lots of cautions (like use a mask when applying) makes me think it is better left on the shelf for me and my coop.

Last edited:
I have an organic vegetable garden. Last year I tried DE instead of neem oil and good bugs. Best garden ever. My squash plants always get taken over by vine borers not last year had squash until the fall.

I haven't tried it with the chicks yet.

Back
Top Bottom