Dust baths?

RustyC

In the Brooder
May 22, 2016
Kansas
I'm curious what everyone uses for dust baths? My chicks are only 4 weeks old so they are still in the basement. What age do they start using a dust bath? I plan to put them in the run and coop outside in a couple weeks. I was told by a few people that sand and diatomaceous earth is a good mixture but I'd like more opinions on what is the best/safest things to use for their dust baths. Thanks in advance.

Our hens loved bathing in the garden so I got them sand as some people have mentioned it. Our chickens wanted nothing to do with it so I got them top soil for their run (also have DE earth mixed in)...they're now dust bathing in their run and occasionally in the sand driveway under our truck, assuming to keep cool on a hot day. Chickens are strange, there's no perfect thing for dust baths..just have to try and see what they like...I'd start with the top soil though. We have 4, 4 week old hens and I put some dirt from the big girls' run in a cake pan for them to see if they would use it, they were in it within an hour or 2. :)

Any standard topsoil will do the trick! I would let my chickens free range in the backyard and they would find a spot in the garden to park themselves and bathe. You can mix in DE which is good for getting out mites and other parasites, but I never personally used it. I looked into it, but went with the old fashioned dirt. Chickens are pretty good at taking care of themselves, so they'll find a spot they like in the run and bathe.

Back
Top Bottom