Dust Baths!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lmarie, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Lmarie

Lmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    Does anyone else think this is one of the most hilarious things chickens do? It makes me laugh soooo hard!!! [​IMG]
    then again..I am easily amused...
    Is it to just keep bugs off of them?
    Lauren

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I love it. Chicken tv at its best. Jean

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    my new little chicks have decided that they want to use the chick starter that they have thrown all over their brooder as dust. The other chicks then eat the food off of them. Yeah they are pretty funny to watch

4. Lmarie

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    I love it!! They are so entertaining!!

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Its most amusing when there are two or three in the same spot... [​IMG]

6. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Love to watch the baths! I gave my week old EE's an old box my checks were shipped in filled with DE. The loved it! I did not know if chicks that young would do it, but they did.[​IMG]

7. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    My chicks in the brooder like to dust bathe in this last bag of woodchips I got (low dust my tush! these chips are driving my allergies crazy). I think it's cute too, unless I am trying to sleep, then it is just noisy as they bang around in there, lol. Of course, they are 9 weeks old, so they make more noise than they did when they were really little.

edited to add: The first time I saw one of our chickens dust bathe (a full grown chicken) I though that it was sick and dying rolling around in the dirt like it was drunk, lol [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I don't know which I like more:

2-3 chickens in 1 pot:
    [​IMG]

Or 2 chickens in 2 pots:
    [​IMG]

9. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    My girls are still young, just a few months old, and I'm new to all this, but the first time I noticed it, I glanced out a window and looked at the run and all I could see was this pile of feathers. My heart sank. I was convinced the worst had happened and something had gotten to them. So I went running out and as I approached, they spotted me. I literally saw three chickens emerge from one pile of feathers in a hole about 4 inches deep. They were having a grand time. Funny little creatures...

10. Lmarie

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    [​IMG] That is so funny!!! I love the pictures too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by