Dust Baths!!

Lmarie

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
Way Over Yonder, GA
Does anyone else think this is one of the most hilarious things chickens do? It makes me laugh soooo hard!!!
clap.gif

then again..I am easily amused...
Is it to just keep bugs off of them?
Lauren

my new little chicks have decided that they want to use the chick starter that they have thrown all over their brooder as dust. The other chicks then eat the food off of them. Yeah they are pretty funny to watch

Love to watch the baths! I gave my week old EE's an old box my checks were shipped in filled with DE. The loved it! I did not know if chicks that young would do it, but they did.
clap.gif

My chicks in the brooder like to dust bathe in this last bag of woodchips I got (low dust my tush! these chips are driving my allergies crazy). I think it's cute too, unless I am trying to sleep, then it is just noisy as they bang around in there, lol. Of course, they are 9 weeks old, so they make more noise than they did when they were really little.

edited to add: The first time I saw one of our chickens dust bathe (a full grown chicken) I though that it was sick and dying rolling around in the dirt like it was drunk, lol
roll.png

Last edited:
My girls are still young, just a few months old, and I'm new to all this, but the first time I noticed it, I glanced out a window and looked at the run and all I could see was this pile of feathers. My heart sank. I was convinced the worst had happened and something had gotten to them. So I went running out and as I approached, they spotted me. I literally saw three chickens emerge from one pile of feathers in a hole about 4 inches deep. They were having a grand time. Funny little creatures...

Back
Top Bottom