Dust baths

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Guitartists, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Anyone notice a difference in this with hatchery chicks vs. homegrown chicks??? I got some DE (food grade) today and when I offered it to the chickens the 2 hatchery chicks I have, Charli and Roxie, wanted nothing to do with it what-so-ever! I ended up having to dust them myself [​IMG] But when I gave it to the two I got from Gayle, Sugar and Spice, they went nuts for it! [​IMG] The little white one, Sugar, is beside herself with joy and has been rolling in the little handful I threw in the brooder all evening [​IMG] It's the cutest thing.

Do you think chicks raised around other chickens and not hatched from commercial type settings have better instincts???

Just something I was wondering about.

2. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I have 2 hatchery chicks out of 7 that try to take dust baths in everything (pine chips, grass, dirt, gravel). Some of the others will do it when available, one or two don't seem to get it at all.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Gayles chicks probably have taken dust baths before my birds are both hatched by some one here on BYC and from Meyer hatchery and they are all addicted to dust baths.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by