DUST BATHS

Roto Rooster

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
Our 19-day old chicks are starting to imitate dust baths in the brooder, utilizing fine pine chips.

Should I introduce a dust bath?

Recommendations/advice welcome.

Thank you!

A few days ago I was letting my chicks run around my mudroom and my Red Star started trying to take a dustbath on the doormat. This made me realize 2 things:

1. Maybe I should put a dust bath in the brooder for them
2. I really need to vacuum my doormat

So I made a dustbath out of a plastic container with some fine sand my husband uses for his reef aquariums. So far all they've done is poop in it
sickbyc.gif

Mine would bathe in the pine shavings. First time I put some sand for them it took about an hour before one tried it. Sand went everywhere and scared the others so bad they wouldn't go near it for a long time.

is sand the best or should i get some dirt from the garden so they can get introduced to the dirt before they go out in the yard we are in missouri so not much sand unless i go to the lumber yard and but play sand???

is sand the best or should i get some dirt from the garden so they can get introduced to the dirt before they go out in the yard we are in missouri so not much sand unless i go to the lumber yard and but play sand???
dirt from the yard will be find. We were told to never use the packaged play sand from the building supply store. If you go to the lumber yard, ask for building sand or construction sand. The cement plant is a good place to get sand. dirt from your garden or yard will be ok also.

Back
Top Bottom