Dust...Dust EVERYWHERE!

Quote:
Lies! Lies! I have six chicks right now and there is a THICK coat of dust on everything in the room they are brooding in. I cannot wait for them to get their dusty selves outside.

I wondered about a Hepa filter for the dust? Borrow one if you don't wish to buy one, maybe?

We might get one anyways, does it help for anyone else?

Really, for me the chicks are soooo cute, it's totally worth it, besides, now the laundry room where my brooder is , is just as dusty as the rest of my house!!!
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
What about YOUR respiratory system????

This is why I will never brood in the house again. Start reading on hatchery sites and such, and you will see that brooding in the house is not recommended.

I live in a very wet and humid climate. I brooded 51 chicks a couple of months ago in a spare bedroom because the coop was not finished. I promise you, your climate is not the only cause of the dust. It was unbelievable. As has already been said here, it is the "dust free" litter but also the chicks themselves. Never again. My lungs deserve better.

Ive raised 35 chicks in a small room in my basement and.... no dust lol. I guess its from the air filter but still. I guess you learn somthing new everyday.
big_smile.png

Quote:
We'd put them outside, but we live on a half-acre, so the house is the furthest point from our existing hens. Plus, we have a spare room that we are in the process of reflooring. It was down to concrete and no baseboards when we realized it was perfect for the chicks. As for the dust in my lungs...I figure a few weeks can't be any worse than spending 5 days a week "down the hill" in the Southern California metro areas. ICK! SMOG! Commuting sucks, but at least I live in cleaner air...minus chick dust.
lol.png

"Down the hill" for us here in the high desert of SoCal is really over a mountain range...and in my case, 4000 ft elevation difference between point A and point B. I guess "hills" are relative to where you live. HA HA

Last edited:
Quote:
Hepa filters don't do squat
hmm.png
I've got one sitting right near my brooder and there's still birdy dust EVERYWHERE!

I think it's also the feed. I finally evicted my chicks to their coop yesterday and when I swept up their room, a lot of the dust was the same color as their feed. Some was the grey "chick dust," but more of it, I think, was feed.

my 12 chicks are 11 days old and I am noticing some dust but it isn't bad...yet
tongue.png
I don't mind it once the coop is done I will just wipe down all the walls really good and things will be back to normal. The are so worth a little dust!!!

We brood the chicks in our home office.Our computer crashed.The computer geek said the hardrive was filled with dust and he replaced it.No doubt it was the chicks.TG it's getting warm and this batch can go out to the coop soon:/

Quote:
just wait, we have 16 and on day 4 we had a nice caking on all surfaces. and wait until their feathers really start to come in good, then you will have dust and little down feathers everywhere (don't forget to check your coffee mug for feathers if the brooder is near you when you are on the computer)
tongue.gif

but I do like them in the house, and will do it again but maybe try different bedding

Back
Top Bottom