Dusted chickens but still mites

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
I dusted my chickens and they still have mites. Anyone know why? I used permethrin made by Gardenstar.

You should continue to dust them as well as using garlic powder in their feed or adding crushed garlic cloves into the water and changing about every 2 days.

You need to treat the entire flock and change out/ treat the bedding and coop area as well.

I will post a link to an article about natural ways to treat mites as well as a link to a product I purchased from Amazon.

They're pretty tough to get rid of, but if you're able to get rid of them, I recommend that you continue to use garlic, to avoid a reccurence.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ET9ZL6...abc_VF6G7FHMQ88XMYV2KWAH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This is also something I used on my chickens and coop. It is a tough process because mites are relentless, but if you keep up with treatment you can exterminate them.

If the mite infestation is heavy I would recommend giving feeding your chickens some scrambled eggs, to help keep them in good shape.

My first experience with mites, I lost a hen who had gone to far before I figured out what was going on. She had become anemic and was unable to stand on her own and despite my best efforts to bring her back to full health, she didn't make it :(

I hope that this helps and you're able to get rid of them, it's an awful thing to have to deal with!

I have used pyrethrin spray in the coop and on my flock. Having someone to spray while another gently strokes the feathers “against the grain” to expose the skin seemed to do the trick for me.

I dusted them the way Pork Pie did and I will renew the pine shavings in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom