DUSTING with DE and insecticide powders

Heme

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Hi Friends from Lauren in Dayton, Tennessee

Self DUSTING by foul is normal to control mites and other pests. Some folks witness their birds wallowing in their pen or barn floor and at first think the bird was injured or in ill health.

Tiny PESTS may or may not harm your birds, but why take a chance on distress, disease, and sociological problems of your flock.

DE or diatomaceous earth is a wonder product. The minute particles have spike-like properties that cut into soft bodied insects (under-belly) and help kill off the pests. Try it by experimental method, and here is the test. In a small glass or saucer, place fire ants or other bugs over a layer of DE powder, cover the glass so the ants will not run free. I put ants on a saucer dish with the DE on the dish surface and lay the drinking glass over the ants to keep them inside the container. This way I can watch what happens and the ants are enclosed and cannot escape.

In approximately 10 minutes check and see if any ants or small bugs are still crawling.

Mixing DE with Sand (and/or garden soil) and spreading it on the Pen Floor or Barn Floor has worked for me. My local friends love the idea and they have gone a step further and add another powder called SEVEN Dust.

If used: Wear a face mask to cover the nose and Gloves also. Mix your DE and Seven in a bucket and when it looks well mixed, you can Spread the mixture over the ground and/or dust each bird.

Bird dusting works very well if you can handle them. Pick up a bird and turn upside-down. Spread the wings and drop dust or pat with a rag-DE-coated duster under the birds wings and underbelly. They will fuss some, but they will feel great and thank you for your service.

Back
Top Bottom