Dusty Coop

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
Has anyone else experienced a dusty coop?

My coop is about 15X30 with 13 chickens. We use the deep litter method with straw. I added DE per the directions around Thanksgiving.

There is a fine layer of dust throughout.

Could the straw be making it so dusty?

You should see the layer of dust in my master bathroom!!!

My chicks have out grown 2 brooders! That was the only place I had to keep all 20 of them. Between thelitter, the feed and the DE mixed in the feed. I've moved out all the towels, tooth brushes and anything I don't want covered with "stuff"

The weekend can't come soon enough! THat's when them move out to the coop!!!

Yes, the dust in my coop is unreal. I can't believe how thick it's getting.

I can't wait for it to get warm enough to do a really good cleaning! I actually try not to breathe in too deeply while inside because I don't think it can be good for a person to get that in their lungs.

I'm wondering if there's a way to lower the dust amount in the future? Anyone have ideas?

I have the same thing.....I noticed today, when I dumped a big bag of feed into a garbage can with lid for storage, the dust was incredible!
I also noticed when my roo came outside and shook himself a cloud of dust come off of him!
When I take straw bales apart I see no dust.
Makes me wonder where it all comes from too!

I remember when we had our chicks in the bathroom, we never had straw in with them, just pine chips, and everything was very dusty. Don't know if it is the chickens themselves?

Mine is so dusty that I wear a mask when cleaning it or fluffing the chips. Otherwise I get a real bad cough and the last time it turned into a bad bad chest cold.

Jacie

Good, then it's just not me. If the chickens get into a scuffle and run thru the coop, this cloud of dust forms.

I was wondering if it was the DE, the straw, their dead skin/feather, or all of the above.

My Sister helped me dust my coop last Fall -
We each got out our Shop Vacs and went to town -
With 2 of us It still took 2 hours to clean the coop. - It is really NASTY again -
The ceiling are about 15 feet high and I can't reach it,
and now it looks like HUGE Spider webs covering the whole thing, BUT I know its just Dust web.

:-(

Back
Top Bottom