Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Ok, what is the definition of vermiculation?

Stippling means lighter spotty coloration, right?

You're being very helpful.
big_smile.png
hide.gif

pips&peeps :

Ok, what is the definition of vermiculation?

Stippling means lighter spotty coloration, right?

You're being very helpful.
big_smile.png
hide.gif

Vermiculation refers to markings that look wavy.​

Oh goodie! A Dutch thread!!
big_smile.png
Thanks for starting this!

I speak from experience when I say that Laura is very helpful when it comes to answering questions & providing info. (Laura, I emailed you a few weeks ago with photos/questions about my pair). I am new to the Dutch and still have a lot to learn. But I am totally smitten with them--they are just, well, awesome little birds! I originally got them just as pets, but I am so in love now that I need more....
hide.gif
Good thing they don't take up too much space!
lol.png

I only have a pair right now--a cream light brown roo & a blue cream light brown hen (who just started laying!
woot.gif
). They are about 6 months old.

This is Harvey and Pearl. I adore all of my chickens, but you know they are special if they end up with names.
lol.png

613_dsc_0487.jpg

613_dutch_hen_4.jpg

Quote:
LOL!!! You mean you don't name them ALL??????
wink.png

lol.png
I can't remember my own name most days, how would I remember 75+ chicken names? Shoot, sometimes I call my kid by one of the dog's names...
hide.gif

Completely off topic, but TurtleFeathers, I do still have a couple of Marans hens for you if you want them. I haven't completely forgotten. PM me if you're still interested.
smile.png

All I can tell you (because I don't breed OEGs) is that Silver is a variety in Dutch, and Silver Duckwing is a variety in Old English Game bantams. Hopefully someone else will jump in here with more info.

Quote:
We ended up keeping a young Moser hen that I believe would be Pearls full sister, her name is Biscuit. We had some odd colors come out of that pen. We had what ended up looking like a splash out of BLB roo and CLB hens--even if I marked the egg wrong, we had no pens set up that would result in splash offspring because we didn't want any splash.

The only other possibility is a recessive diluter of black like lavender (which would also explain the lightness of the 'red' on the bird). If it is Lavender, then Pearl might be carrying it.

I would love to investigate further, but my sister is concentrating more on MGB right now. The 'Splash' roo was sold with a trio of unrelated CLB hens. He was in a bachelor pen, and was a very happy little roo when he got his hens! I would love to see what the progeny out of that cross looks like!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom