Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pathfinders, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Crowing

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Quote:He looks like he might be a Splash.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Ok, what is the definition of vermiculation?

Stippling means lighter spotty coloration, right?

You're being very helpful. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Crowing

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    pips&peeps :

Ok, what is the definition of vermiculation?

Stippling means lighter spotty coloration, right?

You're being very helpful. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Vermiculation refers to markings that look wavy.​

4. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Oh goodie! A Dutch thread!! [​IMG] Thanks for starting this!

I speak from experience when I say that Laura is very helpful when it comes to answering questions & providing info. (Laura, I emailed you a few weeks ago with photos/questions about my pair). I am new to the Dutch and still have a lot to learn. But I am totally smitten with them--they are just, well, awesome little birds! I originally got them just as pets, but I am so in love now that I need more.... [​IMG] Good thing they don't take up too much space! [​IMG]

I only have a pair right now--a cream light brown roo & a blue cream light brown hen (who just started laying! [​IMG]). They are about 6 months old.

This is Harvey and Pearl. I adore all of my chickens, but you know they are special if they end up with names. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Crowing

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG]

6. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote:LOL!!! You mean you don't name them ALL?????? [​IMG]

7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:LOL!!! You mean you don't name them ALL?????? [​IMG]

[​IMG] I can't remember my own name most days, how would I remember 75+ chicken names? Shoot, sometimes I call my kid by one of the dog's names... [​IMG]

Completely off topic, but TurtleFeathers, I do still have a couple of Marans hens for you if you want them. I haven't completely forgotten. PM me if you're still interested. [​IMG]

8. fiftyfifty

fiftyfifty In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    suburban Minneapolis
    Is someone able to explain or show the difference between "silver" and "silver duckwing"?

Thanks so much

9. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Crowing

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    All I can tell you (because I don't breed OEGs) is that Silver is a variety in Dutch, and Silver Duckwing is a variety in Old English Game bantams. Hopefully someone else will jump in here with more info.

10. Ryu

Ryu Songster

Jan 6, 2009
    Quote:We ended up keeping a young Moser hen that I believe would be Pearls full sister, her name is Biscuit. We had some odd colors come out of that pen. We had what ended up looking like a splash out of BLB roo and CLB hens--even if I marked the egg wrong, we had no pens set up that would result in splash offspring because we didn't want any splash.

The only other possibility is a recessive diluter of black like lavender (which would also explain the lightness of the 'red' on the bird). If it is Lavender, then Pearl might be carrying it.

I would love to investigate further, but my sister is concentrating more on MGB right now. The 'Splash' roo was sold with a trio of unrelated CLB hens. He was in a bachelor pen, and was a very happy little roo when he got his hens! I would love to see what the progeny out of that cross looks like!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: