Dutch Bantams vs OEG bantams

Quote:
The standard does call for dutch to be smaller, but if you will look up at my previous post, they are loosely feathered, with a lot of excess feathering, which make them appear bigger than oegb, while oegb have very tight feathering, and are mostly muscle. So while oegb have small body mass, they have more weight to them as its all muscle. Dutch and Oegb are similiar, but once you get them side by side, there are a lot of differences, both visually, and by holding one in each hand, the differences are obvious. And although I have never weighed a dutch, I have weighed several sebrights (seen them weighed) and I have only seen a handful of birds that are actually under or at the standard weight, most of them are way above the standard weight, as a surprisingly small amount of show people actually weigh their birds.

I actually have a dutch bantam roo that is gorgous! He was my very first backyard chicken and i wasn't familiar with breeding too well. We now have 2 oegb hens that we THOUGHT were also dutch bantams because we didn't know about the earlobe color differences. They're pretty similar but i only have one roo and none to compare with, but comaring the characteristics of the roo with the hens, the hens are very protective of their babies and are excelet mothers. Though, the hens get easily agressive at eachother. The roo is the sweetest little thing. He is nice and friendly, but he's very nervous. He hates walking through tall grass and prefers to fly :)

I've had both in my lifetime. Most of what is being said in this thread is correct. Dutch are better layers, OEGB are heavier but usually slightly smaller by other measurement due to the different type of feather and muscle. Dubbing isn't bad but it's mainly for show, I often would leave OEGB males that were for breeding only undubbed so that it was easier to watch ear lobe color. Personality wise my Dutch started out really wild like miniature commercial leghorns, but with handling tamed down. I haven't met many flighty OEGB, most are confident with themselves but the "game" has been bred out of a lot of lines and you have silliness (for a game bird) of males coexisting and such.

Dunno if I'm in the right thread, but through some trial and error and lots of advice, I THINK my rescued bantams are Dutch. Not sure what 'color' however, as the cockerel esp. seems to have the neck feather color of a 'pyle' and the remaining of a 'self blue' . I can't find a picture of a 'self blue' pullet, but guess that's what the hens are. The un-tufted feet, long back tail feathers on the male, and the white ear lobing seem typy? Only off items seem to be that my male is 24oz, which seems a bit big, did not weigh the ladies. Other is that just under the edges of the fine neck feathers, it looks almost like wattling? I'm waiting to get a pic off my phone that shows that. Not sure if it's injury or 'normal' or a defect...

Anyway, the goal is to figure out what they are, 'cause I'm determined to make more of these little guys. Mine have the best sweet natures. They'd by far rather roost on a person than anywhere else, and so far have had the manners not to poop on anyone. Don't that beat all? :) Thanks!

Actually, the Sandard size (weight) for dutch is less than OEG. They may look larger because they are not as tight feathered as OEG. Also, some OEG may be smaller than the standard calls for. Also, at present time the Dutch seem to vary in size a lot. While their size encourages comparison with OEG, the Dutch is a very different type to the trained eye. The following is a picture of my Light Brown Dutch male. Compare:

Back
Top Bottom