Dutch Hookbill & Saxony ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eroc1_1, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I am starting to have some interest in these two duck breeds. I have read a little on them. But what I am more interested in is their personality and behavior. Are they 'nervous' breeds or calm? Tendency to be broody?

2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I have Saxonies. Love them all the way. They are calm and quiet. You have to work really hard to them to get a quack out of the girls. They do chatter when we let them out with the food bowl in the hand, but that is as loud as they get. Most of the time you don't even know they are around. They are just that quiet. They do love space and will forage around all day long. Mine have over 20 acres to play around on and they do cover most of that area in a day. Their egg laying is phenomenal. They do stop for about a week during molt, but that is it. I have given mine some light in the duck house during winter and they never stopped laying. A small 40 watt bulb for a 10x10 feet space from 3am until sunrise is all they need, and you know you will have your eggs before they venture outside. Our climate is harsh mountain range. We had day with only 16 degrees and mornings as cold as -8. All we did put some hay onto the ground so they can keep their feet away from the ice. No frost bite at all, and they did use the hey. They will leave the hay once the temp is above 20 and plow through the snow flattening out areas and creating trails. They love to walk that is for sure. Their calmness works well with my 4 hunting dogs. They have no interest in the ducks, but hang around with them. They do not tend to get broody. Had one that actually went broody, but I didn't let her sit on the nest she build and I remove the egg every morning. She gave up and went along with the rest having fun outdoors. I raise all of mine in an incubator. Saxony ducks have less fat in their meat, if you care about eating ducks.

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I am getting Saxonies and Hookbills from both Holderreads and Sandhill this year.[​IMG] I read they are both pretty docile. hookbills are supposed to be good mothers and forage well. The Saxonies I am getting from Holderreads are supposed to have a high laying count too. I tried to research Hookbills and there just isn't much out there I could find.Or much on Saxonies,that is probably why they are on the rare list.[​IMG]
    Course like any bird, trainability and sensitivity is probably partly the way they are raised....and it maybe bloodlines.
    My BSQ runners from Holderreads are not the 'crazy, skiddish runners" I hear about. Mine will herd into night pen , come when I call dinner, follow me under my feet when bringing food in their pen. I didn't try to make lap/house ducks out of them. But they aren't wild. They are "busy", or laying down.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Hookbills are naturally very docile - as ducklings, they're calmer than other breeds. As adults, they're follow you around the yard and nibble on your toes/shoes. They lay beautiful blue eggs...I've never allowed mine to go broody, but I'm planning to later this year.

I've been raising Hookbills for 2, going on 3 years now and based on personality and uniqueness, they're my favorite breed. I have lots of pictures of my Hookbills in the photo album section of my website. [​IMG]

5. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Oh, good Sweet folly , I have another question, do they fly? well, much.any:confused: I don't want them getting over the 4 ft. fence as we have terriers with duck on their little evil minds:smack and coyotes and a pitbull mix next door....you get the gist..... I was wondering if I need to pinon or clip wings. It's like my mini-ducks, if they get out, they fly too well. twice my mini-silver appleyard flew straight up and out when I opened her top:eek::eek:

6. rainy day ducks

rainy day ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Southeast Alaska
    I just received new ducklings and goslings in the mail from Holderreads yesterday! I added Dutch Hookbills, Saxonies, Welsh Harlequins, more Silver Appleyards, and a pair of American Blue goslings to my flock. I really love watching the hookbills. They are funny ducks. I currently have Silver Appleyards and Cayugas also from Holderreads. I look forward to watching these new ducklings grow! I know I am already attached to the Hookbills! The goslings are slow and mellow while the ducklings race around the brooder when they are not cathing a nap!

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You can't go wrong with either of those breeds.

A 4 ft fence will not keep out coyotes and probably won't keep out any dog who is interested in duck dinner. I've got 6 pound dogs who can climb over a 4 ft fence. A large dog isn't going to be slowed down.

8. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:Now I am really anxious for them to show up!

9. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA

you could do what i am doing. i am putting together an incubator [​IMG] my son is really excited to try and hatch some eggs

10. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011

you could do what i am doing. i am putting together an incubator [​IMG] my son is really excited to try and hatch some eggs

I have thought about that actually. I having been watching Ebay for a used one that has an autoturner and can handle some goose eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by