Dutch Hookbill & Saxony ducks

Quote:
My almost one year old hookbills really don't fly. I think if they had to they might be able to get over a 4' fence but can't remember even seeing them try and fly at all. They are incredible when free ranging. The hens especially. They are always walking around hunting for goodies.

I love dutch hookbills!!!
I am hoping to get some some day. How much water do they need? Do they need a large pond or just normal sized?

Last edited:
I love dutch hookbills!!!
I am hoping to get some some day. How much water do they need? Do they need a large pond or just normal sized?

Hookbills are like any other duck. They don't need to swim but it's healthier and better for all if they can. Mine sometimes use a trough, sometimes a dugout. They need to wash their nares and eyes and drink when they eat. :)

Also, does anybody know if these look like Saxony crosses? I have two. They're crossed with a Rouen but I don't know what the other half of them is. They're silver, with a rosy breast and 45-65° angled body, not slim. The lady I got them from said they were Runner corsses but they're not standing tall. She had one Saxony hen but it died :( Could these be SaxonyxRouens?

(Front one)

Hookbills are like any other duck. They don't need to swim but it's healthier and better for all if they can. Mine sometimes use a trough, sometimes a dugout. They need to wash their nares and eyes and drink when they eat.
smile.png
That is what I thought! I have other ducks and want to add these to my collection someday. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Also, does anybody know if these look like Saxony crosses? I have two. They're crossed with a Rouen but I don't know what the other half of them is. They're silver, with a rosy breast and 45-65° angled body, not slim. The lady I got them from said they were Runner corsses but they're not standing tall. She had one Saxony hen but it died :( Could these be SaxonyxRouens?

(Front one)

The markings are in line with saxony but I'd hesitate to suggest what else they may be mixed with.

Remember just because you cross a runner doesn't mean you'll get the runner body type. Saxony runners are a thing, but they are definitely bred to get both the coloring and carriage right.. That doesn't just happen by crossing a runner and saxony.

The markings are in line with saxony but I'd hesitate to suggest what else they may be mixed with.

Remember just because you cross a runner doesn't mean you'll get the runner body type. Saxony runners are a thing, but they are definitely bred to get both the coloring and carriage right.. That doesn't just happen by crossing a runner and saxony.

It's rather stocky, in fact a bit stockier than most of my Rouens. If it was runner I think it would be at least slimmer.

Yeah Maybe. No guarantees though.

What makes you think Rouen? Did the woman you got these from have them too?

With ducks it's very possible to have multiple fathers in a single hatch from one hen unless you separate a pair or trio from the flock.

Back
Top Bottom