Dwarfism in Rouen ducks?

Kp0315

Hatching
Jun 10, 2023
Hello! So I’m hoping someone can give me some advice/answers or has had an experience with this.

A few weeks ago we bought some ducklings 2 of which are Rouen. For some background we did get them from tractor supply against my better judgment/experience, after some research into the hatchery they buy their birds from I was not pleased. We had just lost my flock of ducks to coyotes a few days prior so I was really missing having them around hence why I caved a bought them.

Anyway- everyone is happy and healthy, eating/drinking normal, activity levels are normal, fortunately no issues health wise but this does lead me to my inquiry… both ducks seem small to me, my Rouens in the past were all 7+lbs once fully grown, these guys are tiny!! The smallest of the two is about half the size of our other Rouen who only a few days older, they have started to molt and their flight feathers are now starting to come in as well. All of my other birds had about a 1/4 of growth left after/during molting and then that was it, that was as big as they got so I’m just a little concerned these guys aren’t going to get any bigger!

Like I said we have had no issues with health thankfully but will it cause issues farther down the road? Should I be concerned about their genetics being passed on if we have to have a mallard/offspring having health&genetic issues? Is it dwarfism? Is she just a tiny girl? These are some of my questions and there are plenty more haha, sorry for the novella but hopefully someone can give me some answers!
(I do not have photos on hand but can get some to post if it’s helpful! Also another thought- she looks like a completely Normal Rouen just little. No obvious physical deformities/difference from the others)

Wild Mallards are protected under the federal migratory bird laws, so it's illegal to remove them from the wild. It is, however, perfectly legal to buy, breed or sell domestically bred mallards. I had them for years. They're really neat little birds!
Since you also have Mallards do you know how to sex them at 8 weeks? Miss Lydia put pictures of mine on here and they do have a raspy sort of voice. I was leaning towards drakes because of the greenish and yellowish bills. They have the darker chests also like drakes do. I have raised a lot of them but usually sell them unsexed. Most of the ones I have sold have turned out to be drakes with the exception of a female. I don't know how to put videos or pictures on here. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Since you also have Mallards do you know how to sex them at 8 weeks? Miss Lydia put pictures of mine on here and they do have a raspy sort of voice. I was leaning towards drakes because of the greenish and yellowish bills. They have the darker chests also like drakes do. I have raised a lot of them but usually sell them unsexed. Most of the ones I have sold have turned out to be drakes with the exception of a female. I don't know how to put videos or pictures on here. Thanks for any advice you can give.
I don't have Mallards anymore - I'm strictly a Crazy Chicken Lady, these days!. When I did, I wasn't very good at early sexing them, mainly as it didn't really matter to me. Most flew off at maturity and, if they were ever seen again, remained distant. A few stayed stayed on their own - spoiled ducks make excellent, if messy, pets! The raspy voice was a pretty good indicator. Who knew that some ducks just can't say, "Quack?" In some, though, we had to wait for the plumage to start coming in. If we saw iridescent "any-color" on a youngster, it generally turned out to be a male ... the little show-offs!

I don't have Mallards anymore - I'm strictly a Crazy Chicken Lady, these days!. When I did, I wasn't very good at early sexing them, mainly as it didn't really matter to me. Most flew off at maturity and, if they were ever seen again, remained distant. A few stayed stayed on their own - spoiled ducks make excellent, if messy, pets! The raspy voice was a pretty good indicator. Who knew that some ducks just can't say, "Quack?" In some, though, we had to wait for the plumage to start coming in. If we saw iridescent "any-color" on a youngster, it generally turned out to be a male ... the little show-offs!
Thanks, mine have that slight green sheen to their heads so that is why I was leaning towards males too. Time will tell for sure though.

Back
Top Bottom