Dying chickens

I am so sorry to hear this. I have followed along as you did your build and I can't believe this has happened either. :( I'm a newb to chickens just like you but not to critters in general. Yellow and green poop reminds me of the stomach upset that comes from oak and walnut trees. Of course this was a dog reaction and not a chicken but I do know my parrots also shouldn't have oak or walnut branches. Oak has tannins and walnut has something similar that has given my dogs stomach upset and yellow poops. Not even sure this would apply to chickens because I doubt they would chew on it or eat it? I am hoping it was not some funky mold but sheesh, you never know. I agree with you that the wood chips somehow or other are the culprit. It only makes sense. But exactly what was in there you may never know. Hoping with you for the best and that #7 recovers.

I am so sorry to hear this. I have followed along as you did your build and I can't believe this has happened either. :( I'm a newb to chickens just like you but not to critters in general. Yellow and green poop reminds me of the stomach upset that comes from oak and walnut trees. Of course this was a dog reaction and not a chicken but I do know my parrots also shouldn't have oak or walnut branches. Oak has tannins and walnut has something similar that has given my dogs stomach upset and yellow poops. Not even sure this would apply to chickens because I doubt they would chew on it or eat it? I am hoping it was not some funky mold but sheesh, you never know. I agree with you that the wood chips somehow or other are the culprit. It only makes sense. But exactly what was in there you may never know. Hoping with you for the best and that #7 recovers.

Thank you. Cheryl was/is not showing much outwardly. She never does, but I can tell that she's heartbroken. I feel terrible about it but clueless on what to do other than remove the chips, clean everything and hope/pray for the best. I'll update on #7 once I get home.

Everybody in the coop appears to be perfectly normal but a little hot. It's in the mid 90's here today. As soon as they see me they are all at the pop door like what the heck??? Open this thing up already. #7 is still with us and about the same as she was this morning. I think she had eaten some of the scrambled eggs. I got her to take a bit of the water/NutriDrench/Oxytetracycline mix. I also have the same mix in the flocks water now. So @aart I feel better anyway. :)

We called the county extension office and they referred us to a U of A Poultry Science veterinary poultry researcher. He is actually coming here tomorrow to pick up the BO for necropsy and swab all the others.

Last edited:
Is it ok to mix the oxy with the nutridrench?

Will be awesome to have that resource available!
I'm sure you'll let them know about the tonic and meds.
Did you have to refrigerate the dead bird?
Maybe they can test the moldy leaves and wood chips too?

Hope they don't find AI.

Last edited:
Is it ok to mix the oxy with the nutridrench?

Will be awesome to have that resource available!
I'm sure you'll let them know about the tonic and meds.
Did you have to refrigerate the dead bird?
Maybe they can test the moldy leaves and wood chips too?

Hope they don't find AI.

I covered what we were doing with him on the phone. He said to continue and gave me a few pointers. The dead bird has been refrigerated since I found her. He is going to inspect the wood chips. I have shoveled them all out of the run and it's all back to bare dirt. I'm pretty confident that it's not avian flu.

Quote: That's great! A little jealous that you have a chicken biology expert available by phone, it's got to a be of great comfort.
Good move on the refrigeration.
The AI comment is maybe an overreaction to the fact that during the last outbreak they were swabbing commercial and home flocks and if any AI was found...total 'depopulation' and often backtracking to stock sources, all of which is good and bad. Many diseases and harmful organisms can be carried in low enough numbers not to produce any symptoms. Sorry, I always consider the worst case scenario.

Back
Top Bottom