Dying chickens

Heartbreaking...Condolences to Terry and Cheryl.

Wonders who many other birds have died, undiagnosed, from this, how common it might be on the wood chipped runs all over the country?
Off to search.

Heartbreaking...Condolences to Terry and Cheryl.

Wonders who many other birds have died, undiagnosed, from this, how common it might be on the wood chipped runs all over the country?
Off to search.

I'm wondering the same thing. They told me that Asper is common and easily formed in warm and damp conditions. I find it hard to believe that this has never happened before.

Which brings me to the next questions...

What now in the run? Just bare dirt? Pine Shavings?

And what do I do with my gigantic pile of death in the back field?

Quote: I'm betting many birds die of 'respiratory' ailments that could well be from molds/fungi same or similar to what yours had.
For now you might just throw some shavings and/or straw out in the run to help the poops dry out.

I would ask your bird guy about the pile of chips...am very curious about that.
Will the stuff totally die off once they dry out?
Could it stay dormant but viable and regrow if wetted again?
Is there anything to add to the chips that stymie the growth of the molds so it's not in numbers detrimental to the birds health?

That stuff is naturally occurring everywhere from what I've read so far.
Like many other organisms, in low numbers they may not cause harm,
but when environmental conditions allows a huge bloom of growth they can become lethal.

I'm betting many birds die of 'respiratory' ailments that could well be from molds/fungi same or similar to what yours had.
For now you might just throw some shavings and/or straw out in the run to help the poops dry out.

I would ask your bird guy about the pile of chips...am very curious about that.
Will the stuff totally die off once they dry out?
Could it stay dormant but viable and regrow if wetted again?
Is there anything to add to the chips that stymie the growth of the molds so it's not in numbers detrimental to the birds health?

That stuff is naturally occurring everywhere from what I've read so far.
Like many other organisms, in low numbers they may not cause harm,
but when environmental conditions allows a huge bloom of growth they can become lethal. 

Almost certainly there are unexplained bird deaths that are caused by this same thing or something similar. I can't believe that what happened here is all that unique.

The samples of the chips are being cultured. When Dr. Clark was here last night picking up #7 he told us that we had the perfect conditions for widespread fungi development. Lots of very fresh tree matter in warm and wet conditions. Very difficult for me to believe that those conditions are all that uncommon. I'll inquire about what to do when he calls back with those results.

I'll post a picture later but it's pretty amazing the visual difference between the pile and the chips that were in the run. The chips that were spread out in the run and allowed to dry out look totally different now.

I think I'm going to clean out the shavings from the coop and put in fresh. I'll spread out the coop shavings in the run and add however much more fresh ones.

The bright spot in this day....and I'm searching for a bright spot right now...is the 6 remaining are all alive and show no signs of anything.

@TerryH I am sorry for your loss!

Thank you so much for sharing your journey.

I live in the PNW and we have some sort of fungi on EVERYTHING. Very scary.

In my coop and barn I use Sweet PDZ ($17 per 40#) It works very well for drying things out and absorbs any ammonia odor as well as being safe to your respiratory system.

I saw someone recommend Vet Rx, I have read good stuff about it. However, I can't agree with them that if it's natural it must be safe..... lead, arsenic, and many other volatile things are natural. Even salt can kill a person.... but they can't live without it.
hmm.png

Your experience (very heart breaking) will help many people. Stinks that an act of being good to and trying to provide a nice space for our animals could end like that. With all my heart, I am glad you were vigilant and able to save the rest of your birds! I also am a little jealous of the resource you found and have.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your family and flock!
hugs.gif

......I saw someone recommend Vet Rx, I have read good stuff about it. However, I can't agree with them that if it's natural it must be safe..... lead, arsenic, and many other volatile things are natural........
Indeed.....the fungus that killed Terry's birds is 'natural'.

@TerryH
 I am sorry for your loss!

Thank you so much for sharing your journey. 

I live in the PNW and we have some sort of fungi on EVERYTHING. Very scary.

In my coop and barn I use Sweet PDZ ($17 per 40#) It works very well for drying things out and absorbs any ammonia odor as well as being safe to your respiratory system.

I saw someone recommend Vet Rx, I have read good stuff about it. However, I can't agree with them that if it's natural it must be safe..... lead, arsenic, and many other volatile things are natural. Even salt can kill a person.... but they can't live without it. :/  

Your experience (very heart breaking) will help many people. Stinks that an act of being good to and trying to provide a nice space for our animals could end like that. With all my heart, I am glad you were vigilant and able to save the rest of your birds! I also am a little jealous of the resource you found and have.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your family and flock! :hugs

Eggsighted4life,
I'm sorry, I think that my comment was misunderstood. I wasn't making a broad statement about all natural products being safe and not harmful. I was referring specifically to the VetRx. I've read a lot of information on this product, many posts on here as well, and it is highly recommended for respiratory problems. I've since used it for prevention and maintenance of my flock. The ingredient list is very short, and doesn't contain salt, arsenic or lead. From MyPetChicken.com:
VetRx Poultry Remedy is based on a natural formula that has been in use since 1874, and is to be used as an aid in treating respiratory problems in all varieties of poultry. Its ingredients include Canada Balsam, Camphor, Oil of Origanum, Oil of Rosemary and more.
VetRx should be administered at the first signs of respiratory disease, often indicated by gaping, sneezing, and gasping. VetRx can also be used in the treatment of scaly leg mites and eye worm, too.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/VetRx-Poultry-Remedy-2-oz-p397.aspx
I agree with you that just because a product is deemed "natural" does not mean that it is safe. I hope that my response isn't taken the wrong way...I am just clarifying my comment, not trying to start a heated discussion. I was just thinking that using it may help prevent any delayed issues with the rest of the flock. I felt compelled to post because the situation is very sad and serious. Thank you!

Eggsighted4life,
I'm sorry, I think that my comment was misunderstood. I wasn't making a broad statement about all natural products being safe and not harmful. I was referring specifically to the VetRx. I've read a lot of information on this product, many posts on here as well, and it is highly recommended for respiratory problems. I've since used it for prevention and maintenance of my flock. The ingredient list is very short, and doesn't contain salt, arsenic or lead. From MyPetChicken.com:
VetRx Poultry Remedy is based on a natural formula that has been in use since 1874, and is to be used as an aid in treating respiratory problems in all varieties of poultry. Its ingredients include Canada Balsam, Camphor, Oil of Origanum, Oil of Rosemary and more.
VetRx should be administered at the first signs of respiratory disease, often indicated by gaping, sneezing, and gasping. VetRx can also be used in the treatment of scaly leg mites and eye worm, too.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/VetRx-Poultry-Remedy-2-oz-p397.aspx
I agree with you that just because a product is deemed "natural" does not mean that it is safe. I hope that my response isn't taken the wrong way...I am just clarifying my comment, not trying to start a heated discussion. I was just thinking that using it may help prevent any delayed issues with the rest of the flock. I felt compelled to post because the situation is very sad and serious. Thank you!
I actually (from what I have read prior to this incident) think Vet Rx MIGHT be a good suggestion.
smile.png

Ok I understand that you meant it specifically for that product. And I certainly don't intend to start any debate. So, not directed at you.... So many believe "organic" or "natural" means better for you and safe. So for whatever reason, I feel the need to let people know that is not entirely true. I am not against that stuff. Just makes me crazy when I see sheeple blindly following the latest craze (some in my family to the point of eating dark chocolate they don't even like because "it's good for you"). And to me, there is always 2 sides to every story. One of the reasons I participate in this forum is to get another perspective.

I think your response is actually informative. And I don't tend to take everything personal, because most of the time it isn't. So, as far as I am concerned,... It's nice to meet you! Thank you for your friendly response, and for sharing any helpful information or suggestions you have with the rest of us! I love this BYC community. It's not only informative, but supportive as well!
highfive.gif

.... VetRx...... Its ingredients include Canada Balsam, Camphor, Oil of Origanum, Oil of Rosemary and more........
Sounds like vicks vapo rub........might help ease respiratory symptoms, but will certainly not eradicate the cause.

Would probably be excellent to actually kill off scaly leg mites tho.

Back
Top Bottom