Dying Ducks, limited information

Stipenvlerk

Crowing
May 22, 2020
The Netherlands
Hi Everyone.

Someone I know via via who has ducks, has some trouble with them.
Before I start my story it's good to know there is an outbreak of highly contagious Avian flu in the Netherlands and all waterfowl and other birds need to be locked inside a contained area.

She has a couple of chickens and a couple of ducks of which two have died shortly after each other.
She went to the vet but he couldn't even tell if the ducks are male or female...

All information is from heresay and her pictures are suboptimal.

- they are 1,5 year old
- The behavior seemed normal until shortly before they die, they became apathic just before they die
- They seem to poop like a normal duck.
- They leak a bit of clear liquid from there nostrils while living
- They leaked clear fluid out of their beak when dying/dead.
- the picture with the 3 shows also the 2 ducks who have died already (their eyes seem a bit different, or not? not very good quality images...

I did see a small video of the area where they are kept. It's spacious, muddy which is expected with ducks, bit the watersource is not to clean...
My question: Could this be the avian flu which found her house? Or is it something which can be prevented with good hygiene?

I advised her the following already:
- Clean the coop and watersource (!Important)
- If one of the ducks left is showing similar symptoms, keep it apart in a warm dry enviroment with enough food and water
- Make better pictures

Thank you al for your time!

IMG_6324.JPG
IMG_6325.JPG
IMG_6327.JPG

Hi Sulky, thank you for the quick reply...

I suspect it could be..but there was no weird flapping or walking in cirkels which we currently see with the wild gooses and ducks...
So I though I try this community for extra imput. Maybe I'm able to give her a suggestion for an attempt to save the other ducks lives...

It's hard to tell what might be causing these die-offs.

It could be something viral like Avian Flu, although it seems ducks are rather carriers of the disease and tend not to show symptoms often. There are bacteria that can cause sudden death in waterfowl such as Botulism, and Pasteurella. Leucocytozoan infections, pesticide poisoning, Mycotoxins, are all other possibilities.

It would be good if the owner loses another bird, to send the duck to your countries head necropsy lab, for an examination on the corpse. By doing that, most times you are able to get a good idea of the agent in which caused their death. If anyone would know common causes of Waterfowl dieoffs in your area, it would be your countries poultry pathologist.

For now, make sure the feeder's/waterers are clean and free of mold, algae, etc. Any ducks that are not drinking, try to keep them hydrated by dripping sugar water along their bill. Addressing some sort of toxicosis, the owner could try the administration of activated charcoal in their water and see if that proves useful.

Thank you @Isaac 0 I'll make it extra clear she needs to be super alert on hygiene levels.
I also suggested her to send one of to the pathologist if it happens again.

Regarding to the flu:
Last Saturday, a (hobby) duck breeder in the area (<15km) had to euthanise 300 ducks because one of his ducks tested positive for this virus (H8N5). and a poultry farmer (<10km) had to do the same with 10.000 chicks and chickens... So I hope my ducks will survive without problems. :fl
For now they seem their happy (a bit bored, since they are in a contained environment) self...

Thank you again for the extended advise. Appreciated

Thank you @Isaac 0 I'll make it extra clear she needs to be super alert on hygiene levels.
I also suggested her to send one of to the pathologist if it happens again.

Regarding to the flu:
Last Saturday, a (hobby) duck breeder in the area (<15km) had to euthanise 300 ducks because one of his ducks tested positive for this virus (H8N5). and a poultry farmer (<10km) had to do the same with 10.000 chicks and chickens... So I hope my ducks will survive without problems. :fl
For now they seem their happy (a bit bored, since they are in a contained environment) self...

Thank you again for the extended advise. Appreciated

Please keep us posted on how the birds do. The same goes for your birds as well, hoping they get around ok!

Back
Top Bottom