Dying hen.... Help

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I went out to my coop this morning and had a hen sitting in the run not moving. Thought she was gone but checked and she wasn't so thought maybe broody but she didn't growl or do much when I checked her. I picked her up and she had a bit of a dirty butt but not much, she is a Cochin so seems with fluffy butts I am always cleaning them, she had an egg under her backside so assuming she had recently laid it and someone else didn't lay in the run and she laid on it. When checking her over I found a gash, not bleeding but big piece of skin split open, guessing from my rooster. She was laying with her feet laid out behind her and not under her. If I go to pick her up and put her down with her feet under her she will flap her wings and is unsteady even laying there. I am almost positive she was walking around fine yesterday.

I brought her in the house in a crate, made up some scrambled eggs with some nutridrench, cleaned her butt and rinsed her cut then sprayed Veterycin on it. Gave her water with a bit of nutridrench. She ate just over half the egg, drank a bit.

Anything else I can do or any ideas what is wrong? Infection from the wound??

Can you get a picture of the wound? How does her comb look? Try putting some apple cider vinegar in her water as well as some electrolyte water. Here's a recipe-
1 Cup Water
2 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt

Plain yogurt is a probiotic so giving that to her is gonna boost her immune and help fight off any sickness. How does her poop look? Where's the wound on her?

Can you get a picture of the wound? How does her comb look? Try putting some apple cider vinegar in her water as well as some electrolyte water. Here's a recipe-
1 Cup Water
2 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt

Plain yogurt is a probiotic so giving that to her is gonna boost her immune and help fight off any sickness. How does her poop look? Where's the wound on her?
Her wound is on her back by her wing. I am guessing my roo tore her when mating. She doesn't have a saddle since she was looking great featherwise so thought he wasn't too bad with her. Recently I noticed more fluff and not as many feathers on her back so was going to get her a saddle.

Her comb is red and if she has pooped since being inside I haven't seen it but I do have most of her wrapped in a towel, tried to leave vent out, since she seemed to feel more comfortable when I had the towel on. Will try to get a pic of the wound.

Attachments

• IMG_20230604_163826006.jpg
    IMG_20230604_163826006.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 14
The wound is still a bit dirty but I didn't want to stress her too much by really cleaning it and not sure how to do I just poured water over it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230604_173945661.jpg
    IMG_20230604_173945661.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230604_174232322.jpg
    IMG_20230604_174232322.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 14
Try putting some hydrogen peroxide over the wound. Do you have any type of disinfectant cream?
I don't think so. I have hydrogen peroxide, just pour it over it? I think I may have Neosporin but would need to double check it is the one with no pain reliever. Then I have the Veterycin spray

Us the wound swollen up, red, or hot? If that's the case, then that could be why. But if not, then I'd have to say that she's probably sick.

Back
Top Bottom