Dying Quail

champers44

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2016
My boyfriend ordered 50 newly hatched quail to raise for a project. He has had them three days and about 10 have died so far. They all die the same way; they lay splayed on their sides and gasping for air. What could cause this? I was thinking too much heat, but have no idea. Thanks.

What is the temperature of the brooder? Do they go under the heat lamp or do they avoid that area? Is there enough space for them to move away from the heat to cool off when they need to?

Over heating chicks often get pasty butt where the poop sticks to their vent which, effectively blocks them up, preventing them from being able to poop. It kills them if it isn't fixed. Check the other chicks and wash their bottoms if this is happening, gently soaking off the dried on poop.

Let me know if it's none of those things and I'll put my thinking cap on. It's usual to lose a chick or two but losing 10 means something isn't quite right. As you got them as newly hatched chicks it's possible they may have a disease that they brought with them from where they were hatched. Hopefully we can solve it though.

Back
Top Bottom