Dying rooster needs to be put down

I have a friend who pointed out we keep pets for us, not for them. They live more in the moment, and don't seem to regret things like we do, such seeing one more birthday, or spring. Letting go when quality of life makes it not worthwhile makes us cry, not them. They are blessed to be able to avoid that suffering. It is our final gift of love, and one that is better given perhaps a bit too early, rather than too late.

Why killing him in such a bloody way ?
Ill chickens die so quick when we're looking for a good vet.
I would give him 100mg ibuprofene so he doesn't feel any pain, and passes away in beautiful dreams of nice pullets in the garden
That doesn’t sound humane at all. Overdosing on ibuprofen sounds like a horrifically painful way to die. If someone knows how to use a gun properly, it will not be bloody and violent.

Can anyone tell me a humane way to help my rooster pass on. He’s older around 6 years, he’s not eating anymore or walking around, I feel he’s suffering now. I have a pellet gun and a 22. . Would either of those guns work? And how do I do it? Or would you recommend any other method other than breaking his neck.
Thanks lu lu
I have a rooster that suddenly stopped and was laying with his kneck stretched out. He was alive but did not move. when i move him and make him stand, he had issus lifting his kneck and will go back to his resting position. I checked the area and I do not know if he got into a fight or the other chickens peck on him causing damage on his kneck. This morning he was worst and I will have to kill him...

I have a rooster that suddenly stopped and was laying with his kneck stretched out. He was alive but did not move. when i move him and make him stand, he had issus lifting his kneck and will go back to his resting position. I checked the area and I do not know if he got into a fight or the other chickens peck on him causing damage on his kneck. This morning he was worst and I will have to kill him...
I'm sorry to hear about your rooster.

Nothing wrong with putting a bird that is in pain and suffering out of their misery, it's the humane thing to do.

IF you wanting to try help him with supportive care, then start a new thread in the ER forums and explain what's happened, what type of care you have provided and include clear photos of him, his injuries and poop.

Back
Top Bottom