Dying turkey's HELP!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Shawna89, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Shawna89

Shawna89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    I lost 2 tukeys the past few weeks! They had bright yellow colored poop before they died so I looked on the internet and found out they might have blackhead. I cut the recent one open and looked at her liver and it is most definitly blackhead. What can I do beside cayenne pepper to save the rest of my flock??

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Remove them from the area, and if possible disinfect, and deworm them, and if you're religious, pray, other than that there's really not a whole lot you can do.

3. Shawna89

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    What should I de worm them with?

4. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Personally when it comes to something deadly I go to tractor supply/vet for medications. I'm not sure what's available in your area but you want something to treat cecal worms like Ivermectin.

5. Shawna89

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    I have a tractor supply. I can stop by and see what they have

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tractor Supply will have the wormer, but they won't have the metronidazole and that's what you really need to treat blackhead.

To treat blackhead you need metronidazole (Fish-Zole, Flagyl, meditrich or API General Cure) *and* a wormer like Safeguard or Valbazen, *not* ivermectin.

• Metronidazole dose is no less than 30mg/kg by mouth (30mg per 2.2 pounds) once a day for five days and I have seen some vets prescribe up to 50mg/kg twice a day for five days.
    • Safeguard dose is 50mg/kg by mouth (0.5ml per 2.2 pounds) and repeat in ten days
    • Valbazen dose is 20mg/kg by mouth (0.18ml per 2.2 pounds) and repeat in ten days

If you need help figuring out a dose just let me know!

Here are pictures of the products listed above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what Petsmart has:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  7. Shawna89

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    I got the safe gaurd that is in pellet form and I am putting it in their feed. I'll look for the fish stuff at petsmart tomorrow! So far everyone else is looking okay, running around, normal poop. Thank you for the info!

8. Shawna89

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    I'll definitely get the API General Cure tomorrow. Does it go in their water?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No, you can't put it in their water. To dose them correctly you'll need to have an idea of how much they weigh an dose by mouth with part of the pack. Let me know what they weigh and I'll help you come up with a plan.

-Kathy

10. Shawna89

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    Thank you so much for the help. I don't want to lose anymore than I already have. My friend have the 2 bourbon reds to me so I called her and let her know. How long is it before any symptoms start showing up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by