E-BAY Selling

frenchblackcopper

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 14, 2009
East central Illinois
I noticed last year on E-Bay sellers are now offering to hatch eggs then ship the chicks. Since selling live animals on E-Bay is a no-no,by selling the eggs,then offering the hatch service gets around this stipulation.One particular auction comes to mind where this in my opinion,should have been done. It was a lady selling very rare white cornish chicken eggs,a dozen sold for $355 and there was some chatter about them on Facebook,that the shells was very thin,and none hatched for the buyer.
Buying shipped fertile eggs has always been a topic here. Mainly they cost much less than buying a live peachick but from my experience and spending a small fortune on shipped eggs when I started,it's very cost effective to just buy live birds and cough up the cash.I noticed many times when I used to buy,the added "extra" eggs sellers would include oftentimes was more than 10 days old when they arrived to me.
Then we have the unscrupulous sellers who offers eggs and never does a fertility check. And we all know how the Postal Service "seeks out" boxes labeled "FRAGILE-HATCHING EGGS" to see just how well you have packed them. But the same risk goes with shipping live peachicks in the way they are handled. I once bought 24 live french black copper marans chicks coming from a breeder in Tennessee. Once they arrives the ink writing on the box had gotten very wet and had run,much like mascara. It was evident the small box of chicks had been left sitting outside someplace and was rained on. Needless to say,not one chick in the box of 24 was alive when it arrived at my post office.And those days was when Marans was selling for the price of gold!
The thing about selling eggs,then hatching them is the fact the buyer would need to wait over a month after the purchase for the eggs to be hatched,then shipped. I wonder then if it's abnormally hot outside how would the peachicks fare in the back of a hot delivery truck? Selling this way takes some of the risk away but the monetary loss is much higher if the live peachicks dies.I know there is insurance but really we know the buyer really just wants the peachicks over the cash.
We need to add more breeding pens this year and my incubator will be overstuffed most of hatch season.The Humidaire will hold 400 eggs but for about 75% of the season this will be too small unless I use my homemade hatcher that will hold maybe 150 eggs.So selling "live chicks" still will not solve my problem. But once again,selling fertile eggs will.
Anyone bought this way before off e-bay?

I like this option only if there is a guarantee of a certain % hatch rate. Like you said, they are just getting around the no live animals rule. Last year there was one that (wink wink) implied 100% hatch rate. When I contacted them that is what they were doing. They just did not want to admit it on the ad.

I would go with something like "Buy 10 eggs,guaranteed no less than 7 peachicks" If you know your averages per pen you should have a very good idea of how many eggs to incubate to get 7 live,viable peachicks. Another thought would be putting a reserve on the sale. '
For instance most of the time basic India Blue eggs sells for around $15.00 each early in the season.I see some brokerage hatcheries charging $47.00 per peachick,,and they have absolutely NO RISK or Money involved in getting live peachicks.Talk about "oppurtunists"? So would it be fair to set a minimum reserve of say $300 on a auction of 10 eggs with hatching guaranteeing 7 or more peachicks? $42 a peachick? Or $30 a peachick if all 10 eggs hatches? Shipping additional of course?

I never noticed hatching available on ebay. I've hatched eggs bought on ebay with mixed success with peas. Part of the problem is that by the time pea eggs are usually available its too warm to ship them safely. I'm in Michigan and this time of the year is best for hatching shipped eggs. They handle cold MUCH better than they handle heat. The thing about buying eggs is that you are gambling on what you're going to get. Rather than pay 300 (for example) for 10 eggs with guarantee of getting 7 peas. I would rather buy the sex and color peas I want for close to or even less money, depending on the color offered/received. The money depends on the area of course.
I have to add my mail lady is great about delivering, if it looks like eggs or says eggs on the box she brings them to the house and won't leave them outside. Its been a long time since I've gotten damaged eggs.

Back
Top Bottom