Eager to learn about mottled cochins.

stickman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
Lebanon, TN
I was thumbing through The Murrey Mcmurray catalog and saw a picture of "mottled cochins". The description stated the feathers were black with green tinting. Does anyone raise this breed and would share info, pics and such.
Thanks.

Mottled cochins are gorgeous BUT please get them from a different hatchery. I love MM but I am very disappointed in my son's mottled cochins that we got this year for him to show in our county fair.
rant.gif
They are 13 weeks old and 2 of them still do not have any feathers growing in on their backs.
hit.gif
No one is picking them out, they just are not there. The other 2 ( we have 4 ) FINALLY feathered out for the most part but are nowhere near as fluffy as our others ( we also got partridge and barred cochins ). Our plans had been to let the kiddos hatch out next years chickens but there is no way that I will breed these guys. We have tried EVERYTHING, vitamins ( chicken and baby), yogurt, higher protein feed, dusting them for bugs (which they couldn't have gotten because they had been in the house).
idunno.gif
My son will end up showing the barred cochins that we had gotten for our youngest daughter. She isn't old enough to care.
fl.gif

if you're wanting them for show dont get from a hatchery at all, you'll always be disapointed unless you're very lucky...most hatcheries breed for egg production not SQ type sadly
sad.png

I reccomend Pamperedpoultry for sure I hatched out a few from her and they are gorgeous little babies
smile.png

Mottled cochins are very beautiful birds, if you want to see some exhibition type Mottleds go to cochinsrule.com and look at the cochin photo page. You may also check out the members page and find breeders of these birds who are more than willing to share and get more people interested in cochins.

As an answer to the post about Murray McMurray cochins and them not feathering on the back, I would reason to guess that both of these chicks are males, right? The reason cochins, both bantam and large, do not feather sometimes on the back and abdomen is because the males lack the rapid feathering gene (most times the females do as well) found in most production types of chickens (New Hamps, Barred Rocks, Delawares). These birds will eventually feather but I would recommend if you want birds to be fully feathered for shows and fairs, especially since they are earlier in the summer and fall, order the chicks as soon as they are available in January or February. Ordering them that early gives them ample time to feather and reach maturity, they will be in better feather condition and will stand a better chance of placing well due to maturity.
I would also state that for county fairs hatchery birds will probably do OK but if you are planning on a State Fair or an ABA/APA sanctioned show you need to seek an established breeder of exhibition quality birds. There are breeders of all varieties of bantam and large cochins to be found at the web site I listed earlier.
Just remember to be patient where cochins are concerned, they mature slowly and I normally don't cull, except for serious defects, until they are over a year old. Culling any earlier would lead to possibly removing a good bird from the flock.

Bo

Back
Top Bottom