Eagle detraction

Jjfester

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 17, 2015
DuPont, Washington
I realize the best way to keep chickens safe is by keeping them in a run, but we are limited to the size of the run we can have and so we have our chickens free range in our back yard in a suburban area. We have plenty of bushes and hiding spots throughout our yard, and have had no casualties for the last 6 years. Unfortunately we live across from a green belt and in the past 6 months we have lost 2 chickens and almost lost another one today to what we have come to find out is a bald eagle.

I have seen some mentions of people successfully using bird netting above their yard or fishing line for hawks, the theory being they do not want to not be able to get back out and suspect a trap. I am curious if anyone has had any successes with this or if others have stories of this not working?

I don't want to restrain them in a smaller area if I can avoid it, but obviously also don't want them to be eaten. They are safely cooped up away from other predators at night.

If netting is something that may work, would it need to go all the way down to the fence line or would having it there be enough to deter them from our chickens?

Any help and real world advice would be appreciated.

How did you find out it's a bald eagle?

I saw it fly away after killing one of our chickens on Sunday but was in such shock I wasn't sure I really saw an eagle, but we caught it in the act this afternoon trying to grab another chicken and it was definitely a bald eagle. I never realized how big they were until seeing one that close.

Yeah glad I don't have them. Although people keep telling me there's a Bald Eagle nest near me but so far I don't have to deal with that and sorry that you do.
My birds hang out under a huge pine tree, and I'm assuming cause they know there is danger in the sky. I also plan on planting more bushes and putting up a long cover in the middle so that they can run there....using a hog panel and planting ivy on it.
Sorry I'm not much help. I have a goose that just her presence helps to keep away the hawks but that would not work for a Bald Eagle as they are huge. Goats also work but I've seen images of Bald Eagles carrying off goats.

Back
Top Bottom