Eagle eye & natural camouflage

AShadyElm

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2020
Last fall we had a problem eagle that was flying in our yard (right up to the house) to attempt to pick off our ducks, we have fawn & white runners and Khaki Campbells. Unfortunately she was successful twice, once plucking one outside my dining room window (which prompted me to run outside to “save the duck” but I quickly backed off when confronted with the size of the eagle and my brain came back online). A week later, she got one from our little pasture. She always went after our fawn and white runners, which are MUCH easier to see as they are foraging in the yard. After this string of attacks the unhappy ducks were put in the “chicken tractor” (an old trampoline refitted with sides) for the remainder of the fall so they can continue their happy foraging. This spring I let them out again, and so far no sign of the eagle but it’s a little early and she probably doesn’t have young to feed yet. While I love my fawn and white runners (they are so pretty), the next batch of ducks will be chosen for their camouflage ability.

Does anyone else have any good advice for avoiding the overhead predators?

Not sure why you didn't broom the Eagle that had the duck? Although we have Eagles around, I rarely see them up close. I didn't think they were that big, is why I'm asking. But of course what I visualize and what actually is doesn't always mesh.

I love those white and fawn runners too.

I doubt there is much you can do besides keeping them cooped up under netting.

Not sure why you didn't broom the Eagle that had the duck? Although we have Eagles around, I rarely see them up close. I didn't think they were that big, is why I'm asking. But of course what I visualize and what actually is doesn't always mesh.

I love those white and fawn runners too.

I doubt there is much you can do besides keeping them cooped up under netting.
Ha! Well, I thought about it but this little lady eagle stood about waist high (I’m 5’7”), so I’d say 3 ft tall, was pretty intent on eating my duck and not letting go. I’m assuming it was a she because the females are bigger than males. We have an eagle sanctuary nearby so I’ve seen them fairly up close but those were contained. This one was definitely wild and willing to put up a fuss for her food!

Ha! Well, I thought about it but this little lady eagle stood about waist high (I’m 5’7”), so I’d say 3 ft tall, was pretty intent on eating my duck and not letting go. I’m assuming it was a she because the females are bigger than males. We have an eagle sanctuary nearby so I’ve seen them fairly up close but those were contained. This one was definitely wild and willing to put up a fuss for her food!
I've seen them in the distance only, catching fish or in a tree top.
I know the wingspread is pretty huge and the talons are monstrous.
Just glad I don't have to deal with them..I live near the Ohio river where they are more frequent but not close enough for them to pay me a visit. Whew..glad of that.
And sorry about your ducks...I really don't think color has much to do with it btw.
Eagles have long range vision, just as hawks do. Nothing escapes them.

I just had one in my orchard and let me say yes, up close they are monstrous. I have been doing a little research since the day I saw it...it killed one of my hens in a very small orchard that is thick with trees, so I can only assume it landed in the orchard and then attacked, which is highly unusual behavior for an eagle. Fortunately it flew off when I saw it and left my hen, but her heart had been punctured by the talons. I am going to try a heavy duty bird net, but probably the safest bet is the tractor.

Back
Top Bottom