Ear infection?

I went to go grab her out of the pen yesterday, had her quarantined, but she wasn't there! I don't know how she could have gotten out, perhaps someone thought she wasn't supposed to be there and let her out. Now I will have to catch her again.

I was able to take out the one above the eye very easily. It was like a big pimple, but harder and chunkier.

The second one, I was able to cut out the second one, the area affected, and it was a white/light yellow . The top of the scabbed area was dark and hard, and it has minimal blood vessels.

I did not remove the third one, because I am not sure if that is from the inner part of her ear or above it, or what it is. The largest one has visible blood vessels and I am not prepared to cut into it.

There was no pus, so I assume it is a tumor or some such.

Will post pictures soon.

I heard human medicines are not good for birds (pain meds), but I want to give her something.

Eeesh. Not good. I do not know if you have ever heard of it, if you haven't ask your local vet if he can get you some, but try Silver Sulfadiazine cream after you lance it. It works wonders on infections and open wounds. You may also try Vetericyn. I have never used it but everybody swears by it.

I was able to take out the one above the eye very easily. It was like a big pimple, but harder and chunkier.

The second one, I was able to cut out the second one, the area affected, and it was a white/light yellow . The top of the scabbed area was dark and hard, and it has minimal blood vessels.

I did not remove the third one, because I am not sure if that is from the inner part of her ear or above it, or what it is. The largest one has visible blood vessels and I am not prepared to cut into it.

so I assume it is a tumor or some such.

Will post pictures soon.

I heard human medicines are not good for birds (pain meds), but I want to give her something.

Quote:
It sounds like you got pus out of the second one. Chicken pus is a yellowish - semi-hard cheese like substance.

For the large one on the ear, take a qtip soaked in hydrogen peroxide and apply to the ear , this will help soften/bubble it out. Start working to see if you can get the plug out. You may need to use some tweezers.
After you get it out, apply some neosporin or vetericyn.
Let us know how she's doing.

For pain you can give a bit of aspirin:
ASPIRIN SOLUTION
Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.
Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.
Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day. (Reference site: http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments)

EAR INFECTIONS
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/919235/ear-infection-in-rooster
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/831156/really-nasty-ear-infection-in-a-silkie-hen-graphic-pics

Last edited:
This one did not go so well. I do not know if I hit a blood vessel or something, but there was quite a bit of blood. I used a lot of styptic and I had most the bleeding stopped and I put some tight bandages on her and put her in a dark box to calm down. She looked a little droopy and I'm not sure she will pull through. This mass was mostly a soft lumpy white cheesey substance with blood vessels mixed in. It only seemed hard because the skin around it was firmer and kept it in shape. I'll post pictures in a second (have to do that with the phone).

She stayed alert just about the whole time and she was tough to hold down and bandage. She still keeps trying to preen and shake off the bandages and such, so that seems good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom