Earlobe injury or disease?

marcid

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
My buff Orpington hen (age 27 weeks) has something wrong with her earlobe. I noticed it yesterday for the first time and stupid me I've been calling it a waddle...but I digress.
1f601.png
. It's her earlobe.

I have been assuming injury and I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and applied polybactirin yesterday (no "Caine" ingredients). This is what I had in house at the time and wanted to at least do something.

I've sent the photos to a few friends who thought also it could be diseased. I literally have no idea. I don't see her getting pecked at but we did keep her crated last night separate from the others. She is free ranging and acting totally normal.

Any advice would be appreciated. Here are some photos. In the comparison photos the left is her normal side, right is the bad one

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Okay well I loaded five photos and one showed up. Let's try this again.

The line down the middle - when you cleaned it is that an open wound underneath? Is it swollen - appears slightly so in the pictures? What is the overall "feel" of the lobe - is it dry or plump?

It is larger and whiter than the normal side. To me it looks torn or like it got caught and stretched.

Honestly when cleaning it with the qtip I was alone with my 5 and 3 year old trying to clean a chicken wound (ha!) and my husband could not see it until after dark. So I have not successfully decided if the dark area is dried blood or dirt. The qtip did not return red, but more brown. I'm having a hard time handling her alone even though she is sweet and docile.

Back
Top Bottom