Early crower

ChickenDammy

Chirping
Jan 1, 2020
This cockerel hatched on May 1st. I've never had a cockerel crow before 4 months old and certainly not before the saddle feathers are obvious.
I was so surprised to hear this!
I didn't want to startle him so I sneaked a video through the crack in the door.

Last edited:
As far as video, you'll have to upload it on another source like YouTube. ;)

On early crowing, surprisingly, some roosters crow very young. My bantams started making crow-like sounds as only a couple days old! The older they get, the better and louder the crow gets until their crow is perfected, though.

This cockerel hatched on May 1st. I've never had a cockerel crow before 4 months old and certainly not before the saddle feathers are obvious.
I was so surprised to hear this!
I didn't want to startle him so I sneaked a video through the crack in the door.

What breed are you raising?

I've heard plenty of cockerels crow before 2 months, but maybe I've dealt with different breeds :idunno

What breed are you raising?

I've heard plenty of cockerels crow before 2 months, but maybe I've dealt with different breeds :idunno
This one is a mixed breed. I had a broody hen and just stuck a few eggs under her. Daddy is an EE and mama is whatever would cross with a EE to end up with red barring on the wings and red laced white feathers on the neck/chest. I have several different breeds, but none has crowed this early.

As far as video, you'll have to upload it on another source like YouTube. ;)

On early crowing, surprisingly, some roosters crow very young. My bantams started making crow-like sounds as only a couple days old! The older they get, the better and louder the crow gets until their crow is perfected, though.
I have several adult roosters so he'll have to plenty of influence!

Back
Top Bottom