Early death in eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stephanie1992, Oct 1, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

ok i have a question... i candled two eggs that were growing great, these r in a differnt incubator than my other eggs, there in a mini incubator that only holds 3 eggs. Well they look like they have died. they were suppose to hatch next week. Is there a reason they died? temp never changed and i didnt candle thos everyday. and i always wash my hand before handling eggs. but they look like there dead, they have no veins in the egg and the baby isnt moving. y could they have died from?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would leave them. I had 9 silkies go in lock down I'm on day 21 I got 3 babies still cooking the rest, don't think they will hatch and they all appeared to have fully grown chicks. I just took others out and gave them to my broodie who has been very determined to be a mum, she hatched 1 silkie and she took over a duccle baby that couldn't get up to a nesting box with her mum and now she has 4 day old silkies and 1 week old duccle and doesn't know the difference. I'm glad that she got babies she's been trying all summer. [​IMG]

3. stephanie1992

i can see the baby inside the egg, and when i turn the egg everthing seems watery, and i have eggs put in the same time in my LG incubator which i can see veins and the baby moving. they look differnt than the eggs i think are bad. im leaving them till lockdown.

4. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    *Should* you be able to see movement yet, a week out from hatch? It's been a few years for me, so I can't remember. How's your humidity been? I have a little 3-egg incubator, too, and everything is automatic, but it's still subject to human errors. Have you remembered to make sure it's full of water each day? I'd definitely give it more time, and check to be sure that you should be able to see them moving at this point. I'm only on day 3, so I haven't researched the final week's candling photos yet. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    That doesn't sound good, had an egg like that from my hen, two broodies fighting over the same nest Ms Cruella always won by pushing the BCM out and bringing all her babies up. I think its from them constantly turning them. If it happened in an incubator I would assume it was due to detached air cell.

6. stephanie1992

it always has water i check it everyday, and i can see movement in all the other eggs just not these two

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    That happens. I never have 100% hatch and quite a few quit late in the game. Like now with the silkies. 6 still in bator and I don't think they will hatch. Sorry I'm no help. I opened eggs thinking I could tell what happen but [​IMG] just looks like a dead chick. [​IMG] I'm always excited if I get more then one on shipped eggs. I'm getting better. My own eggs do better I get around a 90% hatch rate.
    Good Luck
    PS I would refrain from opening them up it will only make you [​IMG]
    Michele [​IMG]

8. stephanie1992

Quote:how would the air cell detach im my own eggs? wernt shipped or anything, just moved from nest to bator.

9. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Quote:Bummer. I don't know then. [​IMG] I hope everything works out.

10. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:how would the air cell detach im my own eggs? wernt shipped or anything, just moved from nest to bator.

Well I.......[​IMG] I'm going to [​IMG] now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by