Early development death: Warning, *GRAPHIC* pics inside...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blzzrdqueen, Mar 23, 2013.

1. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Out of my 16 eggs that are/were due to hatch April 1st, I had two that were infertile, and 1 that was early death. I did not see a blood ring inside the egg, but saw that nothing was really growing, so I opened the egg and found this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking the embryo died around day 5 or 6. This is a great example of what the blood ring should look like in the egg, but because the shell was a darker shade of brown, I couldn't tell if it was the blood ring or not. Although my hubby though this was gross and yelled at me for showing it to him, I found it just as interesting to see the embryo and how much it had developed, you can see little limbs starting, and a really great look eye.

2. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    That is very interesting. I like to open all eggs that don't grow or hatch too. It used to bother me as I was afraid of what I was going to find--like a deformed chick or one that was still alive and I couldn't help. However it is a very good learning experience.. Out of 42 eggs I set recently 3 were infertile, 1 pipped but died in the shell and 3 never pipped--the last 4 did not absorb all the yolk and there was too much moisture inside. I'm not sure why I had the moisture problem with the last 4. I opened them 3 days after the first chick hatched. The rest were 35 healthy chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by