Early eggs

Jimmy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
I have 13 hens who were four months old on Labor Day. On that day, one of them started laying eggs.I suspect another one started in a few days,because the eggs were a slightly different size and shape.These eggs were really small,but had a strong shell.They were not on layer feed yet(still on grower/finisher)...should I switch everyone to layer feed right now? Or will these early egg layers be Ok if they keep eating the grower/finisher for a couple more weeks? Also, do brown egg layers lay brown eggs right from the start? (these were white eggs and I am trying to narrow it down as to who the early bird is). Is laying after only four months really unusual...can that harm the bird?

Brown egg layers will always lay brown eggs. They may get lighter in color but you will still see the brown. My Red Sex Links and Golden Comets started laying at 15 weeks, this is early but they are doing well. Congrats on your first egg.
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif

I would switch them all to layer food. Also give them free choice oyster shell for the calcium. It keeps the shells nice and hard. Good luck.

my question is related so I didnt want to post a new one. My TSC is out of oyster shell and today when I went in one of my other EE's may have stated laying, already have one, but the egg was very soft and splat on the floor. What can I give them instead? They are still on starter/grower as they have about 20 pounds left.

Quote:
I agree with the advice that you should go ahead and switch them over to the layer feed now. Offer the oyster shell free choice. A brown egg layer can lay an egg that's very pale, almost pink. I know because I have one in my frig. right now. I believe every individual chicken starts laying when nature and her genes intended for her too.

Hi! Yesterday afternoon one of the young hens (Chili - a Rhode Island Red) didn't join the rest outside and then started squawking and sure enough when I investigated there was a nice, little brown egg! (Our first one
big_smile.png
) Today I gave them all new fresh straw and this afternoon Chili laid another but there was no hard shell on it!
hmm.png
So I came her and found you guys talking about oyster shell (Everyone is still on starter or grow food and they are free range) My friend told me to give them crushed egg shell - does this work as good as oyster shell (yes, Chick Newbie here)
roll.png
Thanks for any advise!

i searched a little further and found posts that said you could use crushed up egg shells. Either put it in food or offer in a separate bowl. Because I have a rooster it was also suggested to feed Flock Raiser instead of layer but I cant find any.

Back
Top Bottom