Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

I started my hatch on Monday but didn't get my hygrometer until Thursday and the humidity was at 85%! Crud- it that bad for my eggs? It's dry here in Michigan and worse with the wood stove and I was only putting in about 5-10 ml of water a day!
So, then it went down to 25%. I thought humidity was to be between 40 & 50% the first 18 days. I added a thimble full of water in a pop cap and it's now 45%.

Is my hatch ruined? Should I start over with new eggs? Maybe I should wait til Monday and candle what I have. Mon will be 7 days.

If it was just for three days you should be fine. Keep us informed though!

As for trader joe eggs and whole foods eggs: many of the stores use local producers which free range and are potentially fertilized. My TJ store uses Sauder which is potentially fertilized. I haven't tried them yet. I will when I have room in my incubator. I just set some Whole Food eggs though. WF got it from a place about 45 minutes from me. The chickens free range but I don't know if they are fertilized. There is a number on the egg box I bought I can call to find out. I probably will call today. Also, if you ask each store egg manager they should know whether the eggs are fertilized. Last but not least there's also a Trader Joe's thread on BYC that you can see what brands are fertilized. You can't beat hatching eggs for $5.00 or so. Hope this helps. Hopefully my WF ones are fertilized. Lol.

If it was just for three days you should be fine. Keep us informed though!

As for trader joe eggs and whole foods eggs: many of the stores use local producers which free range and are potentially fertilized. My TJ store uses Sauder which is potentially fertilized. I haven't tried them yet. I will when I have room in my incubator. I just set some Whole Food eggs though. WF got it from a place about 45 minutes from me. The chickens free range but I don't know if they are fertilized. There is a number on the egg box I bought I can call to find out. I probably will call today. Also, if you ask each store egg manager they should know whether the eggs are fertilized. Last but not least there's also a Trader Joe's thread on BYC that you can see what brands are fertilized. You can't beat hatching eggs for $5.00 or so. Hope this helps. Hopefully my WF ones are fertilized. Lol.

Agree if it was just for a few days then they should be okay now that you drop the humidity.
Interesting thoughts on the Trader Joes and WF eggs. Never thought of those. I did talk to a gal on FB who was selling eggs to eat for $3 a dozen. I'd asked if they could be fertile and she said that yes they do have roosters. MIght be an inexpensive way to get some hatching eggs in the future!

Me! I just set 9 silkie eggs that were shipped to me (only one day in transit from 60 so miles away! My nerves are getting the best of me! This is my first ever hatch and I've been reading for a month and I think I over prepared haha. I am really hoping I can get at least two. I'm using Farm innovations still air the temps are already killing me.

I am not an expert but I don't think you have anything to worry about. Candle them and keep an eye on the air cells. Humidity is really only super important during the last few days.

This makes me feel better too. My temps seem all over the place. My eggs were shipped so I decided to keep them verticle and not turn for three days based on research, what do you guys think about that? So sorry for my random replies I'm not familiar with this page, hopefully I incubate better than I group chat :)

LilChickens2,
I'll keep everyone updated when I candle on Monday.

I'll have to go to WF or TJ and try their eggs in my bator. I don't shop those stores cuz we don't have them nearby and WF is $$$ plus I have 3 teenagers and would go broke feeding them on organic food
1f629.png

Me! I just set 9 silkie eggs that were shipped to me (only one day in transit from 60 so miles away! My nerves are getting the best of me! This is my first ever hatch and I've been reading for a month and I think I over prepared haha. I am really hoping I can get at least two. I'm using Farm innovations still air the temps are already killing me.

Welcome and "try" to stay calm
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom