Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

@CoopDeDoo

The clothes basket for cat deterring is genius! Interesting idea for a broader! What would you use for bedding to keep moisture from going through? Interesting Idea though... Let's brainstorm

Quote:
I was thinking a round vinyl tablecloth or maybe a plastic wading pool?
Table cloth or plastic could work. My babies always seem to knock over their water so I would need a more absorbent bedding. I've been using a week process where I have sand on the bottom, then do a light sprinkle of shavings each couple days to help absorb moisture. After the 3rd day, I add some dried wild grasses. That would work with a broader to help keep the moisture at bay.

Quote:
Oh I thought you meant make the bottom water proof. I usually use shavings - white pine I think - comes in big bales at the feed store. I did use peat moss for the first couple of weeks last brooding and that works well too. Mine also consistently knock over their water :p

I was
The first dozen are unpacked and resting. One was broken and 4 have saddle shaped air cells - despite the best packing I have ever seen.

Here is an example of the notes I keep (using an excel spreadsheet):
Second Hatch - Set on 1/14/16 Farm Inovator 4200 Forced Air/Auto Turner
Initial Eggs: 12 Sal Fav & 12 LF BBS Cochin
Initial Culls: 1 Sal Fav - broken when received
Egg#
Breed
Pre-Incubation Candling Comments:
          1SF Saddle air cell   
          2SFSaddle air cell   
          3SFSaddle air cell   
          4SFSaddle air cell   
          5SFLooks good  
          etc.
2nd Candling Day 10 Comments:
Final Candling Comments:
Hatch Comments:

I also keep notes on top the incubator noting temp and humidity at various points each day.

I was just looking over your notes and noticed you plan to candle day 10. What days do you candle during incubation?

Day one down (I'm counting it as 24 hours from when I put in...is that right?) yesterday my humidity seemed on the low side of 30% so I added some water and its holding steady at 36% even though I have my Brinsea set at 40%. Should be interesting when I eventually use it as my hatching incubator. (Hopefully it'll raise easily).

Quote:
I candle before setting, then for sure on Day 10 and Day 17-18 when getting ready for lock down. I may candle one more time if I am worried about specific eggs. I wish I had access to good camera to document it :) Some people do more or less and based on what I have read on here it doesn't seem to hurt the eggs if you don't leave them out for excess time.

I just set my very FIRST eggs today! I am so excited but cautiously hopeful. They were shipped so it could be iffy. I'm trying 4 Super Blue Egg Layers that I got from My Pet Chicken. I'm planning a second hatch of some Mille Fleur/Calico Cochins the first week or so of February. I've been stalking the BYC forums for a while but now I'm ready to jump in and chat! Last year I did day old chicks but this year I invested in a Brinsea Mini Advance, hoping it would make things easy on me. We shall see!

Back
Top Bottom