Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

I love their markings! I think I need to put these on my "want" list. Fingers crossed for a great hatch- 14/20 is not too shabby!

They are gorgeous and on my want list too...which is getting really really long hahaha

Hi everyone! I've hatched cortunix quail in the past, but this my first time hatching chickens. We drove two hours each way today to pick up my eggs from Eight Acres Farm in Alachua, FL. Set 28 eggs in my Hovabator...temp is at 99.5, RH is at 44%. Very excited for this hatch of Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Amerucanas, Blue and Black Copper Marans and F1/F2 Olive Eggers.

Looking forward to hatching wth all of you! Good luck!

Good luck! Glad to have more company
2764.png
1f414.png

I caved. 

I'm just an hour or so away from day 17 (counting down to hatch day) and I candled my eggs. I have made myself promise to not look again until much later. Out of my 4 (an unimpressive amount compared to everyone else's! Ha!), I have 2 eggs with visible veining starting! One egg has a rolling air cell and one looked infertile. But I'll be pleased with 50% from shipped eggs. Fingers crossed that those two chickies keep developing! Anyone else with anything? Right now mine should hatch on the 3rd. I'll probably be at work. 

My third graders have taken advantage of the fact that I love chickens and have asked if we can do a classroom hatch. I agreed. I am hoping to stream my personal chicks hatching here at home live via a UStream feed while we are in the classroom, so I don't have to miss out, and we can have a celebration before we officially start our life cycle unit! Clever teacher... :celebrate
[/quote/]

I only have 9 :). Im scared to candle because I don't trust my eye to see things correctly without convincing myself I ruined everything HAHA! Sounds great, congrats! I'm hoping for 2 out of 9 for my first time + shipped eggs so you should be thrilled with 50% I think.

My humidity is low and I'd like it around 35 and it keeps dropping 29 range. The heat is my main prob. When I have the incubator on a desktop service I feel like it needs additional vent holes because it gets hot, I've caught it 103 twice. I moved it to a round stoll and the bottom holes are open and the temp doesn't spike as much but it's been two days of trial and error (I stabilized it for a day before but needed to get the eggs in so had to move) and temps spiking hot. I'm nervous to set it at 102 since it's already climbing up there and over set at 101. I have one semi reliable temp/RH gage I am praying is right. How do you guys manage the placement of the two wires that measure temp? That is a HUGELY SIGNIFICANT Factor in my temps and I haven't seen anything posted on it?

Mine doesn't have two wires. There are dials on the incubator but not wires attached to them. I run the wire for my other term/hygrometer through a vent hole. Since you are running a still air - I think your temps are fine.

Hi everyone! I've hatched cortunix quail in the past, but this my first time hatching chickens. We drove two hours each way today to pick up my eggs from Eight Acres Farm in Alachua, FL. Set 28 eggs in my Hovabator...temp is at 99.5, RH is at 44%. Very excited for this hatch of Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Amerucanas, Blue and Black Copper Marans and F1/F2 Olive Eggers.

Looking forward to hatching wth all of you! Good luck!

Welcome! And best of luck to you
yippiechickie.gif

I caved.

I'm just an hour or so away from day 17 (counting down to hatch day) and I candled my eggs. I have made myself promise to not look again until much later. Out of my 4 (an unimpressive amount compared to everyone else's! Ha!), I have 2 eggs with visible veining starting! One egg has a rolling air cell and one looked infertile. But I'll be pleased with 50% from shipped eggs. Fingers crossed that those two chickies keep developing! Anyone else with anything? Right now mine should hatch on the 3rd. I'll probably be at work.

My third graders have taken advantage of the fact that I love chickens and have asked if we can do a classroom hatch. I agreed. I am hoping to stream my personal chicks hatching here at home live via a UStream feed while we are in the classroom, so I don't have to miss out, and we can have a celebration before we officially start our life cycle unit! Clever teacher...
celebrate.gif

I am going to candle at day 7 instead of 10 I think. I am worried about the viability of my shipped eggs as well. Love the UStream idea!!
thumbsup.gif

Well, I just got shipping notice from MPC for a Tursday delivery of my shipped eggs. They were supposed to be here last week. I am annoyed though. I ordered 33 at once (6 of 4 different kinds and 9 of a fifth kind) but asked that they split the shipment date so that I only get 1/2 at a time, one month apart since my Brinsea only holds 24 eggs at a time. I left them a note, and called twice with the instructions to make sure all was good. Guess what. All eggs were shipped. This is where chicken math got me. I guess I need to run out and get another incubator on Tursday?!

Well, I just got shipping notice from MPC for a Tursday delivery of my shipped eggs. They were supposed to be here last week. I am annoyed though. I ordered 33 at once (6 of 4 different kinds and 9 of a fifth kind) but asked that they split the shipment date so that I only get 1/2 at a time, one month apart since my Brinsea only holds 24 eggs at a time. I left them a note, and called twice with the instructions to make sure all was good. Guess what. All eggs were shipped. This is where chicken math got me. I guess I need to run out and get another incubator on Tursday?!

Yikes. Get a cheap one if you do .. unfortunately odds are that you will have 24(ish) for lockdown.

Yikes. Get a cheap one if you do .. unfortunately odds are that you will have 24(ish) for lockdown.

I wish I could just get another Brinsea for peace of mind but I'm pretty sure my husband would divorce me if I did. Haha. Maybe I'll swing by TSC on Monday and pick up a cheap-y incubator. Move them into the Brinsea for lockdown because the others should be done by then.

I wish I could just get another Brinsea for peace of mind but I'm pretty sure my husband would divorce me if I did. Haha. Maybe I'll swing by TSC on Monday and pick up a cheap-y incubator. Move them into the Brinsea for lockdown because the others should be done by then.
I was about to suggest this as well. What a bummer! Hopefully it will all work out for you.

Hahaha I love lawn ornaments too
smile.png
. It's hard to eat eggs for me for a few weeks after cradling this eggs like they are my children
1f602.png
I'm doing this with my kids so I feel extra pressure because they are already setting up the brooder for nine baby chicks, ignoring my hints that we may not get any! Hopefully it gets less stressful after I'm not a first timer anymore? I love the fun and funky eggs on MPC but the costs seem so high even with free shipping on some breeds.
I keep adding and then removing the Fun & Funky from my cart... they still have a ship date that matches with my previous order of Calicos... SOOOOOO tempting!

I keep adding and then removing the Fun & Funky from my cart... they still have a ship date that matches with my previous order of Calicos... SOOOOOO tempting! 

Me too!!! That fun and funky assorted is always at the top of my wish list. Go to eBay right now and search fertile silkie eggs the farm I got mine from just relisted another bunch and I got mine (9) for $30shipped. I think the fun and funky ships free though right? But you need a big #?

Back
Top Bottom