Early layer

Little Fuzzy

Songster
Jan 16, 2016
I have nine chickens 17 weeks old, two white leghorns, I recently switched to the Purina vegetarian Layena food, and almost immediately started getting small white eggs. I'm pretty sure their not from my white Silkie. Could this be because the soy in the feed? Purina does not get good reviews on this site.

Could just be a coincidence- food, I would imagine, should not have such drastic results - not in such a short time at least.

Ct

welcome-byc.gif

There's nothing magical about layer feed, or any specific brand. Birds lay when they're reproductive system is ready. Leghorns are early maturers and 17 weeks isn't unheard of for point of lay.

Just something to keep in mind, lots of folks have noticed that feeding a vegetarian feed seems to lead to feather picking/eating. The overall protein content is adequate, but the the birds seem to need some animal sourced protein or they go after their flockmates.

welcome-byc.gif

There's nothing magical about layer feed, or any specific brand. Birds lay when they're reproductive system is ready. Leghorns are early maturers and 17 weeks isn't unheard of for point of lay.

Just something to keep in mind, lots of folks have noticed that feeding a vegetarian feed seems to lead to feather picking/eating. The overall protein content is adequate, but the the birds seem to need some animal sourced protein or they go after their flockmates.

X2 on donrae's post.

Back
Top Bottom