Early pecking order establishment?

Quailberries

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Southern WI
I have 2 pullets right now who are about 4 1/2 weeks of age. They've been jumping at each other and flapping their wings for quite a while, and I've read that this is normal. We also have 2 pullets at about 2 1/2 weeks that are in a combined brooder with them. Everything has gone relatively smoothly up until the past 2 days where the younger chicks seemed to be getting involved. Everyone's jumping up on one another but no one seems to be getting really hurt. I'm worried I might have to separate the younger chicks with the older ones in case it's dangerous.

Any warning signs to look out for, or is that pecking order mentality just coming in at a earlier age now that they're with the big girls? I know pecking order stuff can get pretty gruesome in these weeks... but how rough is too rough?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like normal chick behavior. How large is the brooder ? They may need more space. There should be no need for intervention unless birds are unable to eat and drink or blood is being drawn.

Sounds like normal chick behavior. How large is the brooder ? They may need more space. There should be no need for intervention unless birds are unable to eat and drink or blood is being drawn.
We’re using a cheap kiddie pool surrounded by hardware cloth. It’s pretty big and they all have plenty of room. We’re planning to move them out ASAP but the crappy weather is a little too much right now here in WI.

I dont think we’re having any problems regarding food/water intake, I’ve seen a few larger fights be stopped in the name of one needing to drink ;).

Thank you!

Hello,
It sounds normal to me. They start with pecking order behaviour at quite a young age!

Make sure you keep an eye on everyone and check they haven’t been injured. I wouldn’t worry about separating them for now.

Good luck with them!

Jet

Back
Top Bottom