Earthbag coop?

IsabellaL

Hatching
Jul 13, 2023
Hi,

I'm currently sitting on three different coop designs, one of which is an earth bag coop.

Why?
Because I have bags and surplus soil, and because I prefer organic shapes to angular construction (the coop and run take up 1/4 my small yard so it will be very visible through the garden).
Because it might be a little harder for the foxes in my valley to dig through if the get into the run (the entire run will have wire and broken up bits of concrete under about 20 cm of replaced dirt, so I'm hoping that won't be a problem) and maybe deter some of the snakes.
Because it might provide some insulation in our very hot summers and mitigate against nighttime frosts in winter.
Because I live in a bushfire zone.

However, I suspect that inquisitive chickens might make short work of the bags, that a lime wash might not be good for them, that it might be a lot harder to clean curves that straight walls, and that it might be too hard to get enough ventilation into that coop in general.

Has anyone had any experience with earth bag coops?

I do not have any experience,,,,, but do like the concept. My suggestion,,, would be... Build igloo shape. An entry door in front, ,(walk-in). Make boxed screen windows that you would build into your walls as you are piling on the bagged earth.
You may consider mixing in a small amount of cement into earth mixture for some of your base bags. That way your bags would turn semi rigid when watered. You would have to experiment on how much to mix. I also think cement enhanced bags would be useful around the windows, and door. You could anchor those windows and door more securely.
You may also choose to build vertical walls in a square shape.. Then you would need to build a roof from wood or such. Easy way to add ventilation at roof line that way.
Just another thought crossed my mind. During HOT summer heat, you can wet down the walls with water. The evaporation would cool the structure.:idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

However, I suspect that inquisitive chickens might make short work of the bags, that a lime wash might not be good for them, that it might be a lot harder to clean curves that straight walls, and that it might be too hard to get enough ventilation into that coop in general.
All of these are viable cons to the concept.
I would not recommend it, especially in a hot climate.

Time to RESEARCH! Way cool idea if you have the time & help (well, I'd need a lot of help, ROFL).

Tiny Shiny Home - YouTube. Did one. It's huge though & encompasses a garden, too. I haven't been to thier channel in months - not sure if finished & wired up. They are in Arizona. They did not leave bags open to chickens or weather. Not sure why white wash wouldn't work?

There are others who have done earthbag & Cobb chicken coops. Again - research is good. I don't have links on this phone...

:welcome

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom