EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!

Moments ago drinking coffee on the back porch. whole lotta shaken goin' on. 4.8 in Hunterdon County about 80 miles North of me. pretty cool. Now I'm a'scared earthquake, solar eclipse Tuesday. Chicken Little, Chicken Little, it's an oooomen.:lau
The earth hath shaken, the moon hath vanished. EVERYONE! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

I've heard that it could cause some major destruction if it moved just the right way.
It might, locally (so El Paso). However, it's an old fault, the period on it is pretty long (time between significant events), and it's cut off from major driving tectonics (meaning when events happen there it's because of compression from other places further away vs it being on an active crustal disturbance (vent). so the impact is normally lessened). Think of it like being the 18th or 19th car in a 20 car pileup. Yes, you may take a nasty bump, but you're likely driving away from it vs the cars at the back end because most of the energy has been absorbed by the cars between.

Never say never. Faulting and plate tectonics are not a precisely understood science and even a small fault can throw a major snap. But your odds are pretty low.

It might, locally (so El Paso). However, it's an old fault, the period on it is pretty long (time between significant events), and it's cut off from major driving tectonics (meaning when events happen there it's because of compression from other places further away vs it being on an active crustal disturbance (vent). so the impact is normally lessened). Think of it like being the 18th or 19th car in a 20 car pileup. Yes, you may take a nasty bump, but you're likely driving away from it vs the cars at the back end because most of the energy has been absorbed by the cars between.

Never say never. Faulting and plate tectonics are not a precisely understood science and even a small fault can throw a major snap. But your odds are pretty low.
I live here and you know more about this place than I do :oops:

I live here and you know more about this place than I do :oops:
I majored in Geology in college. Volcanology and plate tectonics were my study interests, so I have a good understanding of them. I keep up with the field because I'm still very much a rock nerd. I just chose a different career path.

I majored in Geology in college. Volcanology and plate tectonics were my study interests, so I have a good understanding of them. I keep up with the field because I'm still very much a rock nerd. I just chose a different career path.
That's neat. Seems like I finally know someone knowledgeable about rocks again.

Did you study El Paso and its dusty mountain?

That's neat. Seems like I finally know someone knowledgeable about rocks again.

Did you study El Paso and its dusty mountain?
Not specifically. I looked up the fault zone data this morning on the USGS website and UT's geology reports. I did a lot of study work in the San Francisco volcanic field in Northern AZ, since that was local to me. Also Kilauea and Mauna Kea, because I wanted to work for USGS in Hawaii.

When the Yellowstone Caldera blows, talk to me. :old
No offense, but if that happens, BYC is going to be pretty far down my list of "things I need to check in on". A yellowstone super eruption is a society-ending type of event. One for which we as humans are probably not prepared.

Back
Top Bottom