One Rooster being exiled and One Hen injured or heat exhaustion

sidechiks

Hatching
Jul 29, 2023
Hello Fellow Chicken Friends! So, I have two separate issues/questions.

This year my husband and I decided to go ahead and start working on our mini farm/homesteading. We live on an acre land. February, we brought home baby chickens and all has been going very very well. Until recently.

Rooster
So, my baby chicks ended up with three being roosters. All three have always gotten along very very well. No issues with each other or the other hens. It's been great! And so exciting. Well, a week and a half ago, I am woken up that a rooster is injured. Badly. Apparently he needed to even be hosed off. Instantly the story doesn't make any sense to me. So, I get up and listen to the story being told to me and it doesn't add up. At all. And my rooster looks almost dead.
My child's boyfriend (both are 18) will help around our backyard pulling weeds, etc and he says that the while he was out there that morning, my rooster just lost his mind and went crazy running into one of the fencing we have. I don't believe that because I know my roo and know he wouldn't do that. IF he was spooked about anything he would have ran into his coop. But, he doesn't get spooked that easily and he sure wouldn't injure himself so badly. He had blood coming out of his mouth, nose, and eyes. It was bad. I have a video, but it's so disturbing. His eyes were swollen shut. He was in pain. I brought him in and for a week took care of him and one eye is open. The other one....it's still mostly shut and the golden brown is not in his eye, it's dark. I fear he is blind. I didn't want to keep him separated from the flock for too long. I also had a friend during this time who had to let go of her three hens and a rooster. These four new chickens instantly clicked with the rest of my flock, but my one rooster has not met them and I thought well I better get going on this. My injured rooster has been completely shunned from the flock. None of his rooster buddies will accept him, the hens don't. Everyone wants him gone. So, he is lonely on my porch. I honestly don't know what to do about this. It shocks me. Is it because they can sense he is weak? How do I get him back with the flock?

White Hen
I have a white hen that has not been able to walk for about 4 days. I live in Arizona. We have had an intense hot summer. It has been so brutal. If you don't know, it has been 110 plus degrees for well over a month and we have had no relief. It's been hot. I go out every couple of hours and water down the yard. The chickens are free range completely. I don't restrict them. They have a huge tree. I have had to do some makeshift type shade for them and will be doing much better next summer for sure, but they have plenty of shade, lots of dirt piles for them to have their dust bath, and I have a little ring of water around their favorite tree that I keep water in to help them cool their feet. I have saucers of water everywhere and plenty of water for them to drink. 4 days ago when I went out to water the area down again and give them dinner, I noticed she couldn't move. Her comb was flopped over too. So, I instantly panicked, but when I went to the feed store they said it was probably dehydration. So, I have made sure to keep her very cool as I can and plenty of water and even the vitamin/electroylyte they suggested. I have seen her stand and walk, but it is very rare and very quick. She "army crawls" all over the backyard tho. Which is crazy to me. I don't know what to do. She isn't eating a whole lot, at least from what I have seen. If I had to say anything at all, I would say she looks slightly better from 4 days ago. Could she be that dehydrated?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long message. I appreciate it!

Dehydration could be the cause, but injury also comes to mind in her crawling around. I would try some human B complex or super B for a week or two to see if it helps. Is she getting enough to eat and drink with her walking issue? If not, a wire dog crate with a cover for shade, food and water might be good for a few days to force her to not overuse the legs.

It is fairly normal for an injured rooster to be shunned by the flock. It also happens if they have lost a battle for head rooster. Do you think that one of the boys may have been flogged and they kicked him? Roosters and chickens can get spooked, and go a little nuts or try to protect their hens by rushing at someone. Especially when someone is not experienced with chickens. The rooster might be accepted back when he heals, but if he is isolated away from them, they may not accept him, but attack him. A wire dog crate, covered with food and water can be good for injured chickens, where they can see the others and be protected.

Dehydration could be the cause, but injury also comes to mind in her crawling around. I would try some human B complex or super B for a week or two to see if it helps. Is she getting enough to eat and drink with her walking issue? If not, a wire dog crate with a cover for shade, food and water might be good for a few days to force her to not overuse the legs.

It is fairly normal for an injured rooster to be shunned by the flock. It also happens if they have lost a battle for head rooster. Do you think that one of the boys may have been flogged and they kicked him? Roosters and chickens can get spooked, and go a little nuts or try to protect their hens by rushing at someone. Especially when someone is not experienced with chickens. The rooster might be accepted back when he heals, but if he is isolated away from them, they may not accept him, but attack him. A wire dog crate, covered with food and water can be good for injured chickens, where they can see the others and be protected.
Thank you very much. She eagerly eats my veggies and eggs mixed with shells. It's all my flock's favorite. She definitely is drinking too. That is a great idea and I will absolutely put both my chickens in dog crates. What do you think about them together? They have never had issues with each other, but both going through their own little trauma. I do worry she is hobbling around too much. I started to suspect injury when I know I have kept her well hydrated the last couple of days. As for my rooster, I know that my kid's boyfriend damaged and hurt my rooster. He has recently shown signs of extreme anger and everyone I have talked to that has seen the video says it looks like blunt force being hit on the head. I hope he is accepted back. It's been awesome having a tightly bonded flock.

Thank you very much. She eagerly eats my veggies and eggs mixed with shells. It's all my flock's favorite. She definitely is drinking too. That is a great idea and I will absolutely put both my chickens in dog crates. What do you think about them together? They have never had issues with each other, but both going through their own little trauma. I do worry she is hobbling around too much. I started to suspect injury when I know I have kept her well hydrated the last couple of days. As for my rooster, I know that my kid's boyfriend damaged and hurt my rooster. He has recently shown signs of extreme anger and everyone I have talked to that has seen the video says it looks like blunt force being hit on the head. I hope he is accepted back. It's been awesome having a tightly bonded flock.
Keep them in their own crate respectively, as the hen does not need any male trying to mount her right now.

Back
Top Bottom