Earthworms

Slotred

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 11, 2011
My four black australorps love earthworms. Every morning I get the rake (and they start running towards me) and turn the big leaf piles along my lot line. Each hen can eat hundreds of worms every day. As long as I dig, they eat. I don't suppose I'm overdoing it, am I? It is great fun watching them and listening to them purr as they gobble worms. They are great little birds, and they have given me much pleasure. Anyone else dig worms for their flock?

No, I don't dig worms for my flock, but...when it rains and the worms come to the
surface I love to watch them go around the yard eating all the drowned out worms.

It is so funny, when once gets a worm the other chase her around the yard, I guess that is what
is called the chicken keep away game. All we need are goal posts and it could almost be chicken
football.
lol.png

I have a couple of worm colonies. I thought that my chickens would love them. No such luck. They love cockroaches, spiders and beetles but they have no use for earthworms. You're lucky.

My girls went through a phase when they didn't like worms, but now---MAN, can they eat worms!

As much as my girls go gaga for mealworms I thought that they would really like earthworms. Went to the garage and got the shovel and dug up 2-3 each for my 5 girls. The silly little things turned and ran. Not a single taker. Looked at me like I had gone completely off the deep end. BUT, if they are free ranging and find an earthworm they can't get it down their gullets fast enough! Must be one of those "I'll do it myself, Mom" things.
roll.png

Mine LOVE worms! All I have to do is yell "Girls!" and look towards the garden and they come running. I often stand like a dork in my garden digging worms for them - I'm sure it's caused those passing by to do a double-take. It's just so fun to watch them all try to be the first one to grab a worm.
lol.png

Looking like a dork is something I'm beginning to get used to. Most folks think I'm nuts for having chickens, but I'm learning to get past worrying about what people think. My girls are better company than many of my friends.

Oh wow y'all are crazy... digging worms for your birds... gone off the deep end. Kinda sad to read about probably once sane people going bonkers. I would never do something like that. I bet you have a special "worm" call for the girls too
lol.png

Whats that in my hand? oh nothing...I umm just found them...

105307_worms.jpg

It's always reassuring to know I'm not the only dork out there digging worms for my girls.

yuckyuck.gif

My girls come running when they see me with the shovel..They know what that means...One gets so excited, I have to nudge her away from me because she practically stands on my feet waiting!

Funny about earthworms. I have the same reaction as Maggiec1951. The girls seem to have a disconnect between meal worms and earthworms. I have tried all manner of ways to entice them in to eating earthworms. We have so many in the garden. Nothing works. What's funny is any thing else that crawls or flies around them gets gobbled up, but earth worms, no. Is it because I didn't start them on earth worms when they were much younger?

I would also like some more suggestions about treats that help keep weight on during the winter.

Thanks!
wee.gif
:weee

Back
Top Bottom